Chapter 2 - Promises

Promises

Harry stroked the dark red hair of his renewed girlfriend as he lay back against a tree with her head on his chest.

"That one looks like a Nosebleed Nougat," Ginny murmured pointing to a cloud above.

"No, it doesn't," Harry grinned.

"Oh, yeah–I suppose you're right," Ginny sighed.

Harry squeezed her tight and pressed his face to her neck taking in the flowery scent he was in love with. Ginny laughed lightly and hugged him back.

"You know Mum's really excited about Teddy. She loves babies."

Harry's mind was working fast. He pictured him and Ginny owning a cozy little house like Bill and Fluer's and a baby of their own.

"Ginny,"

"Mm?"

"Let's get married."

If Ginny was feeling at all drowsy before, she sure wasn't anymore. She sat bolt upright and stared at him as though questioning his sanity. Her eyes searched his face, waiting for the punchline.

"Harry, we're seventeen," she said finally, incredulously.

"I know–but–"

Ginny was shaking her head. Harry found this slightly irritating, he needed her to understand.

"Ginny, I love you."

She studied him, her brow furrowed. Harry looked back, determined.

A smile spread across her face, "Harry I love you, too. You know that. But think about this. We're not ready! We haven't finished school! We can't even get decent jobs!"

"Then we'll go back to Hogwarts. We'll finish our seventh year together!"

She continued to watch Harry closely, and Harry looked back, desperate for her to know that he would do anything for her, anything to keep them together.

After several long moments Ginny sighed, "You killed Voldemort, anyone will hire you for any job! You really want to go back to Hogwarts?"

"Yes," Harry said confidently.

She watched him for a few more moments. "Alright, we'll go back to Hogwarts."

Harry yelled in triumph as he tackled her to the ground, tickling all the while.

She laughed maniacally as she shouted, "Stop! No! Stop it! Noooo!"

Harry lay down and brought her with him. Her slender body was on top of his. Harry rubbed her shoulders and she embraced him tightly as she kissed his neck.

"Ginny," he moaned quietly. Then, "Ginny," he repeated as he sat up abruptly. "Marry me!" he said again.

"Harry," she said gently, "we have years after school."

"What if we don't?" he demanded.

"Don't say that," Ginny said quietly looking down at her lap.

Harry took her hands in his. "Alright. Then, just promise me–promise me you will marry me...someday," he added quietly.

She watched him, her bright brown eyes boring into his emerald. "Okay..." she said just as softly.

Harry felt a sense of warmth gush over him. He'd never felt this happy before. "Well, in that case," he dug in his pocket.