Chapter 23

"Hold up a sec. You're telling me that Elijah got past our guards and held Caine hostage in my own freaking house?!" Daniel asked, pronouncing the last four words much more. He started pacing around.

"I literally doubled up security and this happened?!" He said, talking to himself more than to anyone else.

I understood why he was so frustrated, knowing he put so much effort so that no one else would be kidnapped again. "Don't blame yourself for what happened, it's no one's fault." I said as gently as possible.

He sent me a weak smile. "You should go to bed while Caine's in the infirmary. I think you deserve a good night's rest."

I smiled and wished him a good night.

***

Elijah laughed humorlessly as he mercilessly slashed another wound on Caine's arm. He seemed to be enjoying torturing people.

"You always save your mate, but will she be able to save you?" Elijah said as he licked the blood dripping from the blade.

"I hate pure werewolf blood, but a blood of a royal really makes my day." He walked over to one of the other vampires who were watching him as they chuckle at how helpless Caine looked.

"Master, I am quite impressed of how you were able to lock him up so quickly, but a royal couldn't be taken down so fast, may I ask how?" One of the vampires asked.

"Quite? Your only quite impressed by the amount of magic I have conjured?!" Elijah boomed.

The vampire immediately cringed and said, "Master, I do not mean it like that, what I meant was-"

"Yes, yes, I already know what you meant. I will tell you how I was able to take down a royal very quickly since you all seem eager." Elijah replied.

"I simply have to temporarily lock his powers, though I'm afraid you lower-class hybrid can not use that much amount of magic before passing out. But before you do that, you have to weaken him, so that he won't be able to fight off the magic." Elijah explained.

Elijah went back to tormenting Caine. Each flinch he made made my heart break into pieces.

***

I woke up because of a loud scream, it still echoed through the walls of my bedroom then to the halls. It took me a while to realize that it was my own scream. The walls in the building were not soundproof so if anything happens, they will be alerted.

Lucas burst into the room, his eyes wandering around before zeroing on me. I had forgotten he was in a room right next to mine.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked.

"Y-yeah, just had a nightmare, is all." I answered. "I hope I didn't disturb your sleep though."

He chuckled. "Vampires don't sleep, hon."

Oh.

I felt my cheeks flush in embarrassment. "Then I'm sorry for bothering whatever you were doing."

"Eh. I wasn't really doing anything so it's fine."

Just at that moment, vampires started hissing something I couldn't quite understand. But Lucas seemed to know what they meant and a look of horror filled his face.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him. Some vampires were running towards the room filled with weapons, so I assumed there was something bad going on.

"They broke in," Lucas answered as he grabbed me by the arm and led me towards the room of weapons. "Master ordered you to be in the basement, where the pregnant women, children, and newborn vampires are. But he also said he wanted you to be armed, just in case."

I blinked. "You know I'm not pregnant, right?"

He chuckled weakly. "Yeah. But master ordered so... unless I want to be shouted at in my own brain I'd do it."

"What's going on anyway? Let me guess, Elijah?" I asked

"Hmm? Yeah, he wanted payback for us bugging in their business."

He gave me a gun and left me in the basement along with the pregnant women, children, and newborn vampires. The newborns were locked in chains because their bloodthirst was uncontrollable. When I first came in, they thrashed around the locks, trying to break free to drink my blood. The children were more mature than the newborns who were just turned though they were older when it comes to bloodthirst, the children were better at controlling it.

I wasn't too happy about having to sit here and do nothing while the other vampires were fighting off whoever intruded. 'I'll come back, and I won't show any mercy'. Elijah's words echoed in my mind as if he was reminding me about it. Oh no. What if he was the one who intruded?

One of the soldiers named Oscar told us that the basement was hidden and no one else knew about it except the vampires living in this building.

I blinked hard at what he said. "Elijah was here with two vampires yesterday," I said. "So it isn't really top secret anymore."

Oscar looked at the other soldiers who seemed confused at what I had said. The soldier to his right spoke up. "You were probably just seeing things," he said in a firm voice.

Uhh hello?? Caine was brought back all bloody and bruised from the basement. Who do you think did it?

But I just kept my mouth shut because they were showing off their razor-sharp teeth at me. I heard footsteps coming from where the stone stairs were to be. The soldiers didn't seem alarmed, thinking it was one of the other soldiers, reporting back.

I grabbed my gun and made sure it was fully loaded, the soldiers looked at me in confusion. "It's just one of the others reporting back," one of them told me.

I ignored him, it was better to be prepared than to regret. I knew they sent a soldier up the stairs to check on what was happening upstairs, but just in case it was someone else, I couldn't take my chances.

The soldiers did a double-take at what they had seen.

Elijah held the bloody head of the soldier they had sent.