Chapter 26

Something was wrong, Nyx could feel it the moment he entered the house after a day out. When he opened the door, he was hit by the smell of sweat and fear that filled the house. The shields over the house were still up. Nyx called out.

"Evalyn?" Silence. "Evalyn?" He walked up the stairs to her room, opening her door, the smell was stronger there and she was on her knees, her arms resting on the bed.
"Evalyn!" He ran to her, lifting up her face towards him. Sweat covered her skin, her hair was in tangles.

"Nyx..." Her face twisted in pain and she let out a gasp. Her hands fisting the sheats on the bed. This was not the same type of pain he had found her three weeks ago... He gasped as he realised what was happening.

"What can I do? Can I take you somewhere?" He asked, his hand found her arm, stroking it up and down.

"You... You can't..." Evalyn whispered, looking up towards the ceiling. "It started this morning..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked. He had left that morning and just assumed that she was heading out to the healer.

"I am scared..." Tears started to fall down her cheeks. "Get my mom... Kira... Luna..."

"I can take you to them..."

"No... You can't move me now..." She met his eyes. "I need them here..." She gasped again and he saw her face twist in pain.

"I will be back soon..." He winnowed, finding Regina in her clinic.

"Nyx? Wha..."

"She needs you." He only said and took her hand. Leaving Regina in Evelyn's room before winnowing to Kira's place, and did the same with her. Luna was a bit more complicated. He couldn't just winnow to Hewn City like that. But he could talk to her.

Luna? He called out. In Evelyn's room another scream was heard, and then sobs. Luna!

Yes? Luna's voice was irritated.

You need to come to the camp. Now. He looked at the door. Something was dragging him towards it.

Now? I am busy. Her voice held an annoyance to it, like he was disturbing her.

It is Evalyn. Silence. And then Luna appeared. Apparently whatever she was doing was not as important as this.

"You know?"

"She told me three weeks ago..." He whispered.

"Stupid stubborn..." She entered the room, and the scent of fear hit Nyx so hard his knees bent under him, forcing him to take support from the wall. He wanted to help... But what could he do? Stand there and watch? He could hear Evalyns screams, her cries. Kira came out from the room, mumbling something about warm water and a blanket.

"What do you need?" Nyx asked. "Can I do anything?" Kira bit her lip before answering.

"Hold the wards up, and make sure that no one, and I mean no one, enters this house." She walked down to the kitchen and began to warm up some water. "Luna has removed most of the pain, Regina says that everything is going along just as it should. But she... Nyx, Evalyn is so scared." Kira wiped a tear away.

"I know... It started this morning, and she kept it hidden from me..." He said and focused on making the wards stronger.

"Stupid stubborn..." Kira repeated the words Luna had said before. "We still don't know what she wants to do with it after..."

"I hope everything is fine... I can help. We all will."

"She knows that. She is more scared if she ever meets her mate... If she keeps it... Or give it up..." An icing scream was heard and the both of them ran upstairs. Evalyn was standing outside of the room, pure panic in her eyes and a simple linen underdress over her. Nyx took in the sight before him. No blood, but sweat covered her body making the linen dress stick to her. Her belly was huge, and he could almost see the movements from within. Her dark hair flowed down around her face and shoulders. Hands trembling.