Slightly Coming To Terms

January 29th
Veronica's POV

I was home alone doing absolutely nothing when there was a knock at the door. I sighed and went to go answer it. I swear if this is Cheryl or Toni I'm not gonna let them in. I opened the door and saw Jughead standing there. I smiled a little as I haven't seen him in forever. 

"Hey," he said.

"Hi," I said happily. "Where have you been?"

"I've been around and I've been kind of busy," he said. I let him inside and we went to my room. He sat in the chair he always sits in. He only claimed it because it spins around and it's fun or whatever. "So, what's been happening lately,"

"How much do you know?" I asked. He sighed. 

"Most of it. Betty has told a few things that have happened. You two breaking up, the flirting. Toni has told me some other things. I've also heard you came out to your mom?" He asked.

"Yeah, I did. Um, you-"

"Really? How did that go?" 

"She was supportive. She knows everything. But you said that Betty told you about us flirting. Did she tell you anything else?" I asked. 

"No, the last she told me anything she said you were flirting and she was going to ask you out again but that was all the way back in early December. Why?" I sighed. "You two aren't together?"

"No, she was going to ask me out again?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's what she said. I mean, she did say something happened later on but she said she might try again when she can," he said. I felt both happy and sad at the same time. 

"Well, she sent me a text a week ago," I told him.

"What did she say?"

"Let me show you," I pulled out my phone and showed him.

"Veronica, I'm so sorry," I shrugged as I held back tears for the millionth time today. 

"It's fine. It's whatever. I mean, if she doesn't want to be with me then I guess that's her choice and I wasn't that choice. She's made her decision. Fighting for us isn't an option to her. So, no, it's fine."

"I am so sorry," 

"There is nothing to be sorry about,"

"Yes, there is. I was the one who forced you to ask you out."

"Well, there was a time where we both liked each other and now only one of us is."

"Yeah, she told me she doesn't like anyone else and she doesn't know how to feel about you," 

"Well that makes me feel great," I said as tears filled my eyes again.

"I'm sorry,"

"It's fine. I'm not surprised. I mean, it's seemed like she's lost some feelings for me anyway."

"Yeah, I think she has."

"I've noticed. I mean I can't say the same. I've done the opposite. I fell so deeply in love with her," I started crying again. "God, I'm getting so tired of crying!" 

"Hey," he came and sat next to me and pulled me close to him. He wrapped his arms around me. "I know this probably not something you want to hear or you've heard it many times before but you will get over her. Eventually. And maybe one day she'll realize what she lost. And what she lost was an amazing and gorgeous person. You are a good person, Veronica. I know you don't believe it but you deserve all the love in the world. And maybe Betty wasn't the girl for you. But that doesn't mean there isn't one. There is a girl out there who is waiting for you to walk into her life and that girl will give you everything. She will be the one you'll wake up to for the rest of your life. But maybe you have to go through a few more heartbreaks like this to meet her. Yeah, it's really gonna suck but all you gotta do is give it time. I promise it will happen. You will find a girl who loves you endlessly." 

At this point, I was laughing while I was crying. 

"Jones, you're cringy," I said, wiping my tears away.

"Are you gonna tell me I'm wrong?" He asked. 

"I can't," 

"Okay, well it's getting late. You should get some rest. I know for a fact you haven't done a lot of sleeping lately." I sighed. "That's what I thought. I'll stay here till your parents come home or something just in case you wake up and need a friend. Get some sleep." He said.

"You're a good friend, Jughead." He looked back at me.

"I'm not only good. I'm great."

"You're an ass," 

"Goodnight!" He said and left.

He's right. I know he is. It may not feel like it now but someday I'll be better and this won't hurt as much. I'll heal. I'll get better but for now, I just need time. And I need a lot of time crying and being angry first.