Chapter 36 - This is between us

She glanced at Sean, who remained silent. He wanted to know why his father would call her. However, she did not get the chance to say anything when the impatient Samuel Donovan started his tirade. 

“Do you treat my words as nothing?! Come out! My car is in front of your rundown apartment!”

Ashley already knows things going to get out of hand, especially when Sean took the phone from her with a murderous expression. 

"Father," Sean spat. "Why are you calling Ashley?" 

The other side suddenly became silent until Samuel suddenly bellowed angrily. “Ashley Summer! Do you think my son could stop me? Fool-”

Sean pressed the end call in the middle of his father’s tirade. The kitchen suddenly became quiet again, with the soft background noise from the TV in the living room. 

She stood still and remained mute as she did not want to piss off Sean any further. But it was pretty much a useless action when his eyes were fixed onto her with high intensity.

"What did he want from you?" Sean asked softly, and she did not misunderstand that he had calmed down. In fact, he was far from being calm.

She could not resist her instinct to gulp, trying to gather her nerves. "He told me to stay away from you."

"Your answer is?"

Why does he have to ask that? She wailed inwardly as she honestly answered. "I agree."

“You did what?!” Sean growled in anger and she stepped backward in reflex. That seems to make him even angrier. "You are afraid of me? Or do you feel guilty?"

"You did agree to give up on us! I’m also doing what I thought is the best for my dad-" She immediately shut up, but she has already revealed too much.

"The best for your father? This is between us, and does not involve both of our fathers!"

Ashley took a deep breath to calm down. "It always is, Sean. Whatever we choose always affects those we love."

"How?" he asked harshly. "How can our love affect our father? It's not like they will be in trouble if we love each other. This is our marriage, not theirs! As far as I know, Advin accepted me as his son-in-law.”

Ashley winced at his angry tone, and also from what he had said. 

"It does, right?" Kyle asked in surprise. That startled Sean and Ashley, as both of them had forgotten about his presence. It was bound to get Kyle’s attention with how loud their argument was getting.

“Kyle, stay out of it,” Sean warned. 

"Sorry, I know this discussion is between both of you, but somehow it has also involved Mr. Donovan and Advin. I suppose you need a third person to clear this between both of you with a fresh pair of views."

"Kyle," Sean said warningly. 

Kyle gave him a look, not at all afraid of Sean. "You need me to mediate, Sean. Yelling and snarling would not settle things without hurting both of you even more than necessary."

Sean snorted but did adjust his expression. "Then prove it."

"Did Mr. Donovan blackmail you?" Kyle immediately asked Ashley. 

With both of them cornering her, she feels trapped. What should she do?

"Ashley, tell us. I can help you," Sean said, his tone much milder but the tight clenching of his fists portrayed he was only hiding his true emotion.