Chapter 11 - White letter

Chapter 11 – White letter

"Don't daddy me. This time, I'm on your mother's side. You are not getting any younger. We want you to have someone accompany you till your old age and have your own children to take care of you when you are old."

"Twenty-five is not old," Ashley mumbled in a hurtful tone but he wisely ignored it.

"I was already married to your mother at the age of twenty-five."

"Dad, that was old times. Right now, there are a lot of women that married late." Or not getting married at all, Ashley added silently.

After experiencing two failed relationships, she had enough. She thought her parents would understand and leave her in peace, but who knows they were actually just waiting for the right time to mention it again.

Did they think just because they have a good marriage that everyone will be too?

"No offense child, but you need to find a man before your wrinkles appear even more."

"Dad!" Ashley glared at her dad, offended. "How could you say that?"

"I'm just reminding you. Your wrinkles seem to get worse than before."

Resisting touching her said 'wrinkles', Ashley snorted. "Dad, tell mom that I will find a man and marry him when I meet the right one. I would rather choose the right man after years of searching than blindly dating a guy here and there and drop my own value."

"If you keep on working from early morning to late night, how are you going to find the right guy for yourself?"

Ashley threw out her hand in frustration. "Dad, we can wait until our problem is settled? Surely you don't think our problem is going to last for ten years?"

"Of course I don't. I want this to end as much as you. But Ashley, are you sure it's because of our diner's problem or because you could not move on from Sean?"

"... Dad, you are just being impossible!" Ashley huffed. "I already forgot about him, or else I won't agree to mom's blind date and get a new guy!"

"You don't. I know what I saw from your expression whenever we mention Sean. And you are just humoring your mom when you agreed to the blind date."

"That's anger you are seeing, father."

Mr. Summer sighed, knowing that his daughter was angry just from the different way of her calling him.

"That's not anger that I see, dear. That's love." Mrs. Summer entered the office.

Ashley groaned loudly and leaned back on her chair. "Is this 'Bothering Ashley Summer' day? Because if it is, I'm going home."

"Yes, it's time for you to go home and sleep. Did you see those dark circles below your eyes? And your hair!" Mrs. Summer gasped in horror.

"You don't need to further flatten my self-consciousness, mom."

Mrs. Summer just tsk-ed and waved her daughter's comments away. "There's a letter for you. It's funny that there is still someone sending your letters to our house when your friends already know you have moved out."

Ashley's heart skipped a beat when she remembered the only person that did not know she had moved out of her parent's house and could possibly send her a letter.

It could only be her ex-husband.

Nowadays, everyone just searches for someone through social media or sending messages to get hold of someone.