Chapter 27 - Kit

I wake to darkness and a dull pain in my head, and I don't know where I am or how I got here. I'm lying in a bed, in a room with a window through which I glimpse the bright white eye of the moon.

Something moves at my side – a mountainous figure shifting in sleep – and fear explodes within my chest as memory bursts through my mind like a film played very fast in reverse.

The Dire and his violence; my torment and despair. I thought I had escaped him. Had it only been a dream?

The figure beside me lifts itself, and with a half strangled cry, I fall from the bed in a tangle of blankets, landing with a muffled thump. A light flicks on, and I shut my eyes as the pain in my head spikes. I have no strength, and I don't feel well, and my only sad defense is to curl into a ball.

"Kit?"

The voice that speaks my name is low and mellow, a little rough with sleep and tinged with concern. It's like a ray of warm sunlight piercing the fog, and my confusion dissipates.

"Monty!"

He kneels to help untangle me from the blankets, and I throw myself into his arms, knocking him back against the side of the bed.

"Ow." He grunts as he catches me, but he holds on tight and lets me lean against his chest as the last shivers of fear run their course. "You okay? What happened?"

"I thought I was back there," I whisper, breathing in the comfort of his scent. "With... him."

"Well, you're not. You're here, and you're safe." He smooths his hands up and down my back. "How's your head?"

"Hurts."

"You remember what happened?"

I push myself away from him just far enough to see his face. "Yes. Your mom and dad... Are they...?"

"They're fine. We're all fine, thanks to you." He shakes his head, a slight smile on his lips. "How'd you know Jake had a dart gun, anyway? I couldn't tell the difference with the light behind him."

"Neither could I," I admit.

Monty's eyes widen, and he pulls me against his chest again.

"Lords, Kit. I'm supposed to be the one who jumps in front of bullets. Try not to do that again, okay?"

"Okay."

A quiet laugh rumbles in his chest. "Alright, let's get back to bed. It's too early to be up yet."

He helps me to my feet, untangles the blankets and sheet, and spreads them neatly back over the bed. As he does, I see that his shoulder is bandaged, and he only uses one hand. The other is wrapped tightly in gauze.

He lifts the covers for me, then slides in at my side. We lie face to face, and I gently touch his injured hand.

"You got hurt."

"Not as badly as I would have, if not for you. You saved me, Kit. You saved everyone."

I blush, feeling undeserving of his praise.

"I just wanted to protect my M—" I stop myself. That's the second time I've almost said it.

"Your Mate," Monty affirms, surprising me. His voice is very quiet and serious, and when I glance up, I can just make out the color of his dark amber eyes, lit by the pale moon. "I know. I feel it, too."

"You do?" I whisper. I'd known it was true for me, but I'd hardly dared to hope he might feel the same.

"I do," he replies, and lifts my hand to his lips. "I didn't believe it was possible, at first, but today you convinced me. Don't know why you'd want a big old giant like me, but if you do, I'm all yours, Kit."