Chapter 6 - Monty

"Why don't we just ask him?" Julian leans forward with his elbows resting on his knees. "I mean, why does it always have to be high drama with you Wolves? Just tell him we know he wasn't completely truthful and see what he says."

"Because it wouldn't change the fact he's already been dishonest," Dane replies. "This was his chance to make his case, and he lied, or at least withheld information. Even if he cleared it up to satisfaction, how are we supposed to trust anything else he says?"

"He's been through hell," I argue. "You saw. Whatever else may or may not be true, he didn't do that to himself. If he's not telling us something, it's probably because he can't. It'd be cruel to force him."

I remember how he'd got the wrong idea about the shower, and grow warm with anger at the thought.

"Maybe," Dane allows, "but there are other factors to consider. If he were anyone else, I wouldn't hesitate. But he's not anyone else, Monty. He's a Mortaine."

"In name only," I shoot back, "and hardly that. You heard how they treated him."

"And therein lies the problem," Ambrose interjects. "Something we heard wasn't quite the truth."

"So, we vote," Dane says. "And just so everyone understands, I'll lay it out: granting asylum means we accept him as one of our own. If the Mortaines come knocking, we defend him as we'd defend ourselves. Think about that — about what you're willing to risk, and for whom."

He looks around at each of us.

"For myself, I have to vote against it. My Pack, my family, come first. I won't jeopardize that for a Mortaine."

"You were gonna marry one," Julian reminds him.

"That was before she tried to kill my Mate and eat his heart," Dane growls, "in case you've forgotten."

Julian sighs and frowns, crossing his arms over his chest. "Of course I haven't. That's why I have to vote against it, too. I feel bad for Kit, but Luna and Luca are as Fae as I am, and I don't want the Mortaines anywhere near them."

"I agree," Chloe says softly. "The Mortaines tried once to take this territory. If I can't be completely sure of Kit, I can't offer him the welcome I would otherwise like."

I'm disappointed, but I understand. I wasn't here for what went down with Chloe's crazy dad and the Mortaines, but I know it was bad, and I don't blame anyone for not being able to forget about it. And if what Dane told me about the twins is true — that they're both alpha-born — I get his reluctance. Future alphas are future threats, which makes them potential targets.

"Objectively, I'm not sure we have the resources to defy the Mortaines, if it came to a fight," Noah says. "Last time, Freya, Ian, and I were barely a match for Selene and her brothers, and altogether their Pack is about twenty strong, last I heard. We don't have the numbers."

"Is that a 'no,' then?" Dane asks.

Noah glances at me apologetically. "It is."

"Ambrose?" Dane turns to him.

"My Mate's vote is mine," he answers simply.

Dane runs his hands over his ropey hair and sighs. "Traditionally, it's only Pack that has a say, and Chloe speaks for her Clan, but I think you deserve a vote, too, Ian. So, what is it?"

Ian shifts in his seat. He's a big, roughish guy with red hair and a beard, and a patch over one eye. His alternate form is a bear.

"I don't like the idea of turnin' away a man in need," he says slowly, "but I don't wanna bring trouble down, neither. I killed a Mortaine — in a fair fight, but still." He shrugs. "They might come lookin' for revenge. I'm not worried for myself, an' I figure my little Sam can take just about anything." He smiles fondly at his Mate. "But most in our Clan aren't fighters, an' would be no match for a Wolf, if they decided to take out their grievance that way."