Chapter 23 - Kit

Monty throws on his clothes in haste, and I struggle to keep up as he races back through the orchard to Sasha's house. The Alpha awaits us there, his brows bristling with displeasure. I know I'm not the target of his wrath, but I stay a bit behind Monty, just in case.

"Where the fuck have you been?" Dane demands. "I've been calling you for two hours, now."

"I'm sorry. I didn't have my phone."

"At a time like this?" Dane growls. "You should know better."

Monty's shoulders stiffen, his Wolf's form almost visible beneath his human one, so large and powerful. While the alpha is certainly strong, he's got nothing on Monty for size. If it came to a fight, and if Monty refused to yield, I'm not sure who would win.

Then again, it's hard to imagine my gentle Monty in a fight.

My Monty.

I repeat the words in my head and shiver at the strange feeling that fills me with sudden warmth. It's been visiting my heart often, recently; slipping in between the fear and darkness like a ray of light.

Happiness, I remind myself. It's called happiness.

Now, Monty yields beneath the Alpha's glare; not because the Alpha forces him, but because he chooses to submit.

"What happened? Where is everyone?" he asks.

The Alpha relaxes. "They found a bunch of shit in the woodshed. Empty cans of paint-thinner and varnish, and containers of gasoline. Enough to hold nearly fifty gallons. Plenty to burn a house down hot and fast. They took Sasha in for questioning. Freya and Jake went with her for support."

"But Sasha has an alibi," Monty argues.

Dane shakes his head. "Turns out Jake was only here half the night, and Sasha says she was asleep for all of it. Guess they had a few more drinks than usual. He must've left around four to get to the park station by five. He logged in on the computer there at ten after. According to the sheriff, the house burned sometime between midnight and seven a.m. That leaves plenty of time for Sasha to have gone out after he left. Plus... she's the one who called it in."

"Doesn't that make her less of a suspect?"

"No. Arsonists sometimes report their own fires. Plus, she could've waited; she didn't call it in until after noon."

"But what motive could Sasha possibly have? She doesn't need money."

"Actually..." Dane hesitates and then sighs. "According to Page, that's not true. Sasha's in debt. Apparently her online business isn't doing well."

"That's still a pretty weak reason to murder your mom and dad, isn't it?" Monty asks.

"Yeah. But the cans of gasoline tell a different story."

"You don't believe it, do you?"

"Of course not. I can't. Sasha... There's just no way."

Monty frowns. "So, what now? What can we do?"

The Alpha turns away, looking up at the bright, cloudless morning sky. 

"I've asked Julian to read the scene," he says.

Monty looks surprised. "You hadn't already?"

Dane shakes his head. "No. I was afraid."

"Why?"

"Ever since he came back from Faerie—since the twins were born—his abilities have been... different. Stronger. But..."

"But?" Monty prompts.