Chapter 18 - Monty

That evening, we all walk over to Martin's for dinner.

His mate, Elena, greets us at the door. She looks like a supermodel, or a Hollywood star, but she's not. She's an obstetrician, and her generous salary is the reason Martin can stay home with the kids and write crime novels.

Not that raising kids isn't just as important as any career, or that Martin isn't successful; but even he doesn't claim he's written any bestsellers. Yet.

Elena comes from a long line of Argentinian 'maned wolves,' with long limbs and mixed red-brown fur. In human form, she's just as elegant—with her auburn hair streaked with black and done up in a flawless style, and her clothes and makeup looking red-carpet ready.

If I didn't believe in true love the way I do, I'd almost say she was out of Martin's league.

"Dane! Monty!" she exclaims, giving us each a quick, light embrace. "How good to see you. And Freya, of course!"

Freya offers her a hesitant smile, but makes no move to step close enough to be hugged.

Sasha clears her throat and nods at Julian, who so far remains unacknowledged, but Elena glances past him and spies Kit where he stands at my side.

"And who is this?"

I introduce Kit as my charge, and Elena's eyes light with curiosity.

"A Wolf? From what Pack?"

"Oh, uh... no," I add quickly, dodging the question. "Kit's not a Wolf. He's a fox-shifter. A 'kitsune.'"

"Oh!" Elena's smile becomes a bit fixed, and her gaze flicks back towards me. "Well. All are welcome here."

She steps aside, gesturing for us to enter, and I see Dane's jaw set in a firm line. His mate and children remain un-acknowledged, and this would count as a slight even if we weren't Wolves. Fortunately, Julian is occupied with Luca, who's managed to kick his shoes off again, and doesn't notice.

Dane lets it slide, this time. Of our whole extended family, Elena might be the least comfortable with Dane's choice of mate—though whether it's because Julian's not a Wolf, or not a woman, I don't know. I allow myself a small smile, remembering that she hasn't even met Ambrose yet. Girl didn't know what she was in for, joining the Hunter Pack.

She leads us into the dining room and invites us all to sit where we like.

Her and Martin's house is a low, long, modern thing, with walls of flat gray stone, a flat roof, and enormous windows of tempered sheet glass. Everything is stone or stainless steel, or unadorned wood, and Martin says it's supposed to 'blend with the natural landscape,' but I don't see a soft thing in sight. Even the sofas look hard and angular.

It's certainly got 'style,' but I prefer the lived-in comfort of Sasha's place.

As we take our seats, Martin emerges from the kitchen, clad in an apron with blue-and-white stripes, and carrying a covered dish in oven-mitted hands.

He smiles, his face flushed from the heat of the kitchen as he sets the dish on the table. "I wish it were under better circumstances, but I'm glad to have you all here," he says. "Welcome to our home."

His hands free, he loops an arm around Elena's slender waist and kisses the side of her face. "Where are the kids, sweetheart?"

Elena glances at where Julian and Dane are making the twins comfortable in their laps, given the lack of baby-chairs, and I get the sense that Elena wasn't expecting to entertain children.

"I'll call them, corazón," she says, and disappears with a swish of cream-colored satin.

"Can I help with anything?" I ask, as Martin wipes sweat from his brow and turns back towards the kitchen.