Chapter 33

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I know this is where most writers would insert an apology and a reason for their absence. Well, since I am the king and Fae I see no reason for me to apologize. Now, because I am feeling generous I shall give an explanation (only because I feel generous). As I explained before there was an influx of runners but once that ended another crisis came up. Alice and her "friend" had an "incident" (if you are reading her book, you will understand) and I have been looking after Alice as a dutiful fiancée should. That is all the explanation you are going to get.

Jareth, Goblin King

——————————————————————————-

Sarah's POV:

I sat up in my bed as the goblin answered Jareth.

"Sir, she has won." My jaw dropped. I hadn't expected that at all. For some reason I thought that I was the only one who could beat the labyrinth. But, I had been wrong.

Jareth was furious. I could see the anger glowing in his mismatched.

"I guess one of us shall have to take her home." He hissed as he dismissed the goblin with a wave of his hand. Cocking my head, I asked,

"Take her home? What do you mean?" No one had taken me home and I was confused. Surely, I hadn't been the exception!? Besides, couldn't magic take them home?

Jareth threw back his head and laughed. "Of course not, Precious thing." I scowled as I realized he had read my mind again. The one thing I hated about him was that ability. "It is tradition for the Goblin King or one of his servants to escort the runner home. We must make sure nothing happens while they are en route." He smirked and sauntered over to me. "I couldn't do it with you." He sat down beside me and stroked my hair. "It hurt too much. I entrusted you to my crystal balls and they took you home. I didn't have the strength to do it."

My eyes welled with tears as I was again faced with what I had done to him. I didn't respond to it but simply said,

"Who will take her back?" Jareth stood up and paced at the side of my bed.

"Well, I don't want Gareth to take her back. After all, he decided he was going to marry her. It would be too hard for him." He ran his hand through his long blond hair and sighed. "I can't go. There is too much work to be done with the kingdom. I shall have to send her with a goblin."

I couldn't let him do that. The goblins were a little frightening to one who wasn't used to them and I didn't want to have her frightened.

"Jareth, let me take her home." That was the only way. Besides, it was time I got out of bed. It wouldn't be too bad. I needed some fresh air anyway. Jareth planted his feet firmly in the ground and shook his head.

"No, Precious thing. No. You are not well enough to do that. It isn't an easy trip with a wound like yours." He shook his head again. "Put the thought from your mind."

I locked eyes with him and through them expressed my determination. I had to do it. I had by now set my heart on it. Our staring contest ended with him saying,

"Very well. Just promise me one thing, Precious." I looked up at him happily and said,

"What?" He walked over and ran his hand through my hair. "Be careful." I nodded and he vanished, most likely to tell whoever needed to be told that I was taking Alice home.

I got up and dressed myself, careful of the wound beneath my breasts. It was healing well but I still had to be careful. Very careful. After dressing, I magicked myself to the tower room where I had learned previously was where most were kept until they could be returned home.