Chapter 12 - Banshees

Sarah's POV:

Jareth stood up and walked over to the couch where he pulled on his leather vest and held out his hand. I slipped from the bed and took his hand. His mismatched eyes glowed in the dark and he quickly teleported us to the throne room.

His father and mother were sitting on their throne and I hit behind Jareth as the door opened and five women walked in. They were very tall and as they threw their black cowls back, I could see their skin was deathly pale. Four of the Banshees had pale cream hair but the leader has streaks of black in hers.

The leader walked forward and bowed to Maitland and Karis. She then turned towards Jareth and bowed to him.

“I have come to speak with the king and queen.” The woman's voice was deep and cold. She spoke calmly and with authority. Maitland stood and said,

“Empress of the Banshees, why have you come to speak with us. You know, we have little dealings with you.” She drew herself to full height and said,

“Yes, of that I am aware. I have come to ask for help. Trouble brews in the west. Trouble for all of the Fae Realm. You, Jareth Goblin King, need not worry. Nothing can pass through the Sprite woods.” I looked up at him and he whispered in my ear.

“The woods where you broke my wrist. The Sprites live there. The Banshees live on Banshee Mountain to the north of us.” I nodded and but was still puzzled. Maitland said,

“Trouble? What trouble?” The Banshee Empress smiled coldly and said,

“Trolls. They have come from the west. They have come and wish for trouble.” I looked at Jareth and he gave me the I-tell-you-later look. I nodded and listened as the Fae King and the Banshee Empress argued about something I couldn't understand.

Finally, Jareth teleported me back to our room. I sat on the bed and he sprawled out on the couch. I glared and he smirked.

“Now, what do you want to know?” I took a deep breath and tried to gather all my thoughts. I had thought there were just Fae and Goblins in the Underground. I was finding out I had been very wrong.

“Um, what is a Banshee?” Jareth leaned back and smiled a little.

“The Banshees. Well, to begin with, they live in the Banshee Mountain north of us. They are an all-female race and completely immortal. You cannot kill a Banshee. You can only make her life a miserable one. They are like solitude and don't seek the company of many. Even to their own race they are very unsociable.

“There are three types of Banshees. There are the tame Banshees. They live in the Underground and don't leave, ever. There are the wandering Banshees. They leave the Underground but make their home here. Then there are the feral Banshees. They live solely in the Aboveground and never ever come down here. Some are banished by decree and others because they like it up there. I never understood them. Banshees are still feared by humans and because they are completely immortal they have nothing to fear from humans. Most think they are ghosts.

“As for their magic, they have almost none. They can cause some witchery to lure humans into traps. Other than that, they do very little. They change into the forms of black crows though. Very large black crows. It is a talent of theirs. What most humans know them for is their unearthly keening. You experienced this tonight.” I nodded. Now, at least, I understood a little more about them. I did have a question.

“Why are they here in the underground? Were they driven out with the Fae?” Jareth shook his head and tapped his boot with his riding crop that had just magically appeared in his hands. I frowned at the gesture but didn't bother to fuss.

“No, they were not. The Banshees have always lived here and Aboveground. The humans feared them too much to try to drive them out. They were relatives of Death himself or so humans thought.” I laughed at the thought and could see where humans might have thought that way. I suddenly realized what I had just thought. I had thought humans. I wasn't a human any more. I had come to terms with what I now was. I smiled and asked,

“Then, what are trolls?” Jareth snort and closed his eyes while he tapping became softer but more rhythmic.

“They are a humanoid like us. They mean no good to anyone. Most are ugly. They look somewhat human though. They possess almost no magic but contrary to popular belief, can stand light for certain periods of time. I never met one and never want to. They have always been in the Underground. Always. Some live above but very few.” I nodded and laid back on my bead. I was exhausted will all this. What was going on? I didn't understand what I had found myself thrown into. Troll, Banshees, Sprites, Fae, Fairies – I was confused.

Jareth walked over and massaged my shoulders. I smiled faintly and relished his touch. I kinda liked it now. I yawned and leaned into his hands. I could almost feel his smirk and I shot him a playful glare. He laughed and kissed my forehead.

I tried not to blush but I kinda liked the affection. I was getting used to him. Yeah, and not to mention I had a tiny crush on him. Yeah, just a tiny one. I wasn't going to let it get bigger.

Suddenly the door burst open and a messenger ran in. He gasped out,

“The Fae and the Banshees are at war with the Trolls.”