28 - Coney Island

Cassie and Peter walked through the portal into the warehouse. Michael Keaton, or in this world the Vulture, stood on the other side of the room. It was big and empty, the littlest of noise echoing through the room. As they walked forward, Adrian looked up.

    "Spider-Man, Pythia," he greeted them.

    "Stay calm, focus on your Spidey sense," Cassie murmured to Peter next to her. She had to remind herself not to say Peter's name. In this world, he never dated Liz. And if he never dated Liz, then the Vulture never discovered his identity. 

    "How could you do this to your family?" Peter called out to him, trying to not make it obvious they knew he was Liz's dad.

    Adrian chuckled, shaking his head. "I'm doing this for them," he said.

    Without warning, Peter shot a web that hit Adrian's left hand, sticking it to the desk behind him.

    "Spider-Man, steady," Cassie reminded him again.

    "You two look young, sound young," Adrian corrected himself "You don't understand how the world works."

    "I think we understand more than most," Cassie said.

    "Yeah," Peter agreed. "And we know selling weapons to criminals is wrong."

    "How do you think Stark paid for that tower? Or any of these little toys?" Adrian began. Cassie and Peter looked back and forth between each other. This felt like a distraction. Carefully, she slipped back on her slip ring behind her. "Those people, those people up there, the rich and the powerful, they do whatever they want. People like us, they don't care. We build their roads and we fight their wars and everything, but they don't care about us."

    "Tony cares more than most!" Cassie interrupted him. She could feel her blood boil at his words. She knew in some parts he was right but she knew who Tony really is.

    "Pythia," Peter called out, making it his turn to remind her not to get too hot-headed.

    "We pick up after them," Adrian continued. "We have to eat their table scraps. That's how it is. I know you know what I'm talking about, Spider-Man."

    She looked over at Peter, the chunky ogles of his suit twitching with the emotions he was feeling. Cassie could tell he was thinking over what he was saying.

    "Why are you telling us this?" Peter asked.

    "Because I want you to understand. And... I need a little time to get airborne." Adrian took out a knife with his other hand, flipping the blade up.

    Peter's eyes went wide as he sensed something happening. "Pythia get down!"

    Cassie didn't question him, she dove to the ground, covering her neck as she watched Peter jump really high into a backflip. A boom sounded behind them as rubble began to cover her, the Vulture's suit flying out from the wall behind them. It soared over her head, as Peter landed on the ground after it. She looked up to see that Adrian had cut his arm loose. Peter continued to jump around the room, dodging the winged suit as best he could.

    She looked back and forth between Peter and Adrian. The Vulture stood still at the desk as he watched Peter try to get away. Furrowing her eyebrows, she stood up and headed straight to him. He wouldn't get away. This is where the fight would end. Walking towards him, she summoned the Vapors of Valtorr, creating a fog that misted over him, obstructing his view.

    Adrian coughed, wiping his hands in the air to clear the fog. Without warning, Cassie came into his view, punching him square in the jaw. He stumbled to the side as the fog cleared. Turning back to look at her, he raised his eyebrows impressed and she knew that Steve would approve as well. He broke into a fighting stance, throwing a punch at her that she barely dodged.