25 - Ferry Rides

"This is so stupid," Cassie mumbled under their breath. Today was her 6th late slip which meant detention. Tony had given her a field day, going on about how someone can be late when they can teleport where they want at any time he had never been a teenage girl before.

She sat at a desk, arms crossed as she waited for detention to start. She noticed MJ in the back, sketching away like she usually did. As she sat in the back, waiting with one other student for the teacher to declare the start of detention, a familiar face came into the room. Peter Parker walked in holding a detention slip directly from the principal.

Slowly, he scanned the room with an annoying expression etched across his face, he did not want to be there. Soon, he made eye contact with her, a slight bit of relief in his eyes.

"Cassie, what are you doing here?" Peter questioned, sitting down at a desk next to her.

"Too many tardies what about you?"

"I tried to sneak out of class but the principal caught me."

She nodded to his statement as a video began playing in the front of the class of Captain America lecturing them about detention. She rolled her eyes at the absurdity of it. As the two students drifted into silence, letting the voice of Cassie's fellow Avenger fill the room, it dawned on her.

Shit, she thought to herself. Today is the day of the boating incident. She looked over at him and noticed his on-edge behavior. He was clicking his pen at a rapid pace, his foot not being able to stay still. Maybe her being here would change this? Quietly, she leaned over to whisper to him.

"Peter I don't think going to that ferry is a smart idea," she warned him.

He turned to her. "So this is in the movie too huh?" She nodded. "I have to stop them. I don't have a choice."

"You do Peter, just stay here."

"What so the Avengers can take over?" he said in a sarcastic tone making Cassie sit up a little straighter.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

He sighed. "Listen, I love that you're an official Avenger now, I'm really happy for you. But I've been a superhero longer than you and Tony doesn't trust me." She could hear his voice crack, trying to hold back tears. "I have helped people time and time again yet he makes you an Avenger and not me?"

"Peter, you are such an amazing hero. People adore you so much trust me," she tried to reassure him.

"Then why aren't I an Avenger? Why aren't I going on missions? The team is back together. I overheard Tony talking about a possible mission at the party. Why hasn't he asked me?"

His leg began to shake faster as he leaned his head onto his hands, trying to hold back how much it was bothering him. "Peter, I'm pretty sure the only reason Tony made me an Avenger is because he knows I won't be around for long. I have an expiration date in this world, you don't. Tony wants to know that eventually when he retires the fate of the world will be in good hands. Trust me, he just wants you to prove yourself."

Peter mumbled, "I feel like I already have." Suddenly, he shot up from his chair. "I'm sorry Cassie but I have to stop them."

Before she could say another word, jolted up from his seat, grabbing his backpack and rushing out the door. "Peter wait!" she called out but it was too late.

"Wait, come back," the teacher said enthusiastically, making no real move to stop him.

Cassie stared at him in amusement. How little did he care about working at this school? Her mind was racing 100 miles a minute but she knew there was only one thing she could do. Grabbing her bag Cassie ran out of the room as well, finding the empty alley next to the school she always went to. Slipping her sling ring on, she made a portal home, directly into Tony's office.