CHAPTER III

"Alright, class, settle down, and shut up. Today is a virtual day. Get out your laptops and get on the site." An older, not so kind and raspy voice spoke, staring dead at her students. This is a teacher; but not a good one.

Ashley sighed. It was ALWAYS a virtual day. The teacher was lazy, and didn't like to do her job. She always slept, and some kids would just get up and walk out some days. The teacher didn't care. Everyone also was passing, so maybe the teacher did have a heart after all. But to Ashley, she just wanted a normal class experience.

She abruptly stood up, and it made everyone go dead silent. Even Haley and Kira were surprised at this; Ashley never did this.

"Sit-" The teacher began to say, but Ashley cut her off.

"Look, miss. It's always a virtual day isn't it? I just want a normal class experience to actually learn something in your class. But no, you never teach us do you? Are you here just so you can get your daily nap? Are you here just to get benefits for being a teacher? If so, what kind of teacher are you? You wasted 4 years in college, just to sit around all day! Do your job." Ashley said, slowly and flatly, not taking her eyes off the teacher.

Some kids snickered behind her, while others straight up started howling with laughter. Haley sat there, stunned, but also laughed. She nearly fell out of her chair.

The teacher sighed sharply, "Look kid. I don't get paid enough for this. You're lucky I won't just send you up to in-school suspension right now. Shut up, and sit down," Then she directed her attention at the rest of the class, "That goes for you all too."

The class goes silent again as Ashley sits down, huffing. The teacher didn't even bother to consider what she said.

Ten minutes go by, and the teacher is dead asleep. Kira then peeks over and speaks, "Hey, we should ditch. Not like she'd notice. Whatcha guys say?"

"Sure, whatever," Haley replied, "What about you Ashley?"

"Sure, good with me!" She replied, closing her laptop and getting up. The two followed.

She waved briefly to her class with a smile, and to that Haley reacted with a cold look as she sharply moved her head quickly to turn to Ashley, hissing and gritting her teeth under her breath slightly, "Don't do that."

Ashley flinches, but obliges.

Soon, they make it out to the courtyard, and they all sit on a bench. Ashley notices the two other girls a bit uneasy, and works up the courage quickly to ask, "Hey, what's up with you two? You guys okay?"

Haley sighs, "Look, Ashley, we need to tell you something. Kira, why don't you take the lead?"

Kira nods, then begins to speak slowly, her facial expression darkening as she goes on, "Ashley, this town is going to be blown up next year. We.. found it out on the news. We didn't even go looking for it, it just kinda.. you know, came up? Yeah. Uh.. but I'm sure it's true, seeing as it looked pretty solid."

"Kira, what the hell are you saying? The town isn't going to be blown up," Ashley laughs a bit, "That's ridiculous. You don't believe everything you see on the internet! Also, the government would likely block that site and all, and also wouldn't let you go there!"

Haley scoffs, "I can't believe you'd believe them over us! Your CHILDHOOD FRIENDS!"

Haley then looks away, tearing up a bit. Both out of anger and sadness.

Kira looks blankly at Ashley, "Don't blame me when you get blown up then."

Ashley scoffs, disregarding the fact she made Haley upset, "Look, I don't wanna hear anything of your nonsense! Drop it!"

Kira's expression darkens, "No, we aren't going to-"

Ashley gets up, cutting Kira off, yelling, "I SAID DROP IT! I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT, OKAY?! YOU'RE BOTH LYING! THE GOVERNMENT WOULDN'T DO THAT!"

Kira goes silent, and Haley flinches a bit. Ashley notices, and wants to say something, but Kira just says, "Go away. Just.. go away."

Ashley looks down, feeling ashamed, and nods, walking away with her head down.

"I don't know what we're going to do with her." Kira says, sighing. She then turns to Haley, who is now trembling.
"Hey, it's okay. She just.. can't take it right now, Haley." She hugs Haley from the side.

"I-I know.. I just wish she'd give us a chance.." Haley replies, a saddened tone.

"I know. We'll figure it out." Kira says, a bit of defeat in her tone.