Chapter 19- Watching the Past

"Soon, I will be Sultan."

I heard too many voices around me. I ran, hoping I could get out of this world. Somehow, I was still in Auradon. I knew it. I was reliving both sides of the story that I was told so many times as I grew up.

"My dad was an idiot in love," I mumbled.

"Princess (Y/n). I'm afraid you've gone far too deep into your magic."

My breath hitched in my throat. The real Jafar was a few feet away from me. He looked tired compared to when I saw him last. It was just him and me in a white room.

"I know you're scared, (Y/n). I see it in your eyes." I looked at him with uncertainty. "Don't worry. I know better than to hurt you. I'm going to help you."

Jafar walked up to me. He wasn't going to hurt me. I knew it. He knew how much I meant to Jay. He held out his arms to me awkwardly. I embraced him, making me confused. What was he doing?

"You mean a lot to my son, (Y/n). He would hurt me even if I just hypnotized you," Jafar explained. He let go, looking into my eyes. "You have the relentless spark in your eyes that your mother had. And that's why you have her eyes." He took a deep breath, collecting himself. "Be safe."

"I will, Jafar."

I was finally lifted to consciousness. A cold cloth was on my forehead. The staff was still in my hand. It felt sore. No one was in the room; my vision cleared, and I saw it was my dorm room.

I found my phone on my nightstand. I immediately called Mal. She would know what was real and what was reality.

"You're awake? Good. Get over here and help us with getting things ready," Mal said after she picked up the phone.

"Jafar spoke to me. He helped me out of the sleep."

There was a beat of silence. "What happened?"

"I basically relived my mother and father's story. Then Jafar appeared and helped me out of the coma... sleep... whatever you want to call it."

"Jay's here, so I'll tell him what's going on with you. Get here as soon as you can," Mal said.

"Hurrying," I replied before hanging up.

Red smoke surrounded me, and then I was in front of Evie's cottage. I froze in disbelief. Mochi was in the garden. She slithered over to me, focusing on the staff that she was gripping. Mochi wrapped herself around the staff and froze. Mochi's head laid on top of the cobra's head, and her body wrapped around until her tail dragged down the staff.

"Whoa!" Mal exclaimed when she walked out of the house. She looked over at me again. "Nice outfit. And I love the hair."

"I haven't really had time to look in a mirror." I shrugged.

A lightning bolt hit the ground, and I jumped toward Mal. Pink smoke swirled around the struck spot until Audrey appeared. She had a darker look than the last time we saw her. And what was she wearing and carrying? The Queen's crown and Maleficent's scepter.

"I was hoping you two were home," Audrey said, walking up to us.

Mal laughed. "Is this a joke?"

"What are you doing with the crown and the scepter?" I questioned.

"What are you doing with Jafar's staff?" Audrey retorted. "I wanted them, so I took them. You, of all people, should understand that, Mal."

"Wait, Audrey, stop!" Mal snapped. "Don't use that!"

"I thought you liked spells," Audrey said.

"Okay, Audrey-"

"Quiet!" Audrey screamed.

"The scepter is not a toy! It's dangerous!" I protested.

"I want to be dangerous!" Audrey snapped, rounding on me. She looked at Mal. "My life was perfect until you stole it. And Auradon turned its back on me." Audrey walked toward the path. "It's time for a little payback."

"Audrey, wait!" Mal said.

Pink smoke shot at us. Mal and I ducked in surprise. The spell hit both of us. Mal and I turned into old women, a cloak covering our figures. I had a straight posture, at least.

"You think Jay and Ben will love you now, old hags?" Audrey taunted. "You'll pay the price of what you did, and so will all of Auradon!"

Finally, the three and Celia rushed out of the house. Audrey turned into smoke and disappeared. My hair was longer, but all of it was a mix of white and gray. My hands were dry and wrinkly. I was frail, like Grandfather was before he passed.

"Whoa!" Jay exclaimed as he looked at Mal, making me worried. "You might want to think of a spell for that."

"There's no spell that can reverse the curse of the scepter," Mal said in her hoarse voice. She sounded like she'd been screaming all day.

"Well, that's a shame," Carlos commented as I pulled the cloak further over my head.

"(Y/n). (Y/n). It's okay," Jay assured me, lifting my hood carefully. "I'm just surprised. I love you, no matter what you look like."

"Forget about us. Audrey's out for revenge. And all of Auradon is in danger," I explained.

"What should we do?" Evie asked.

"The only thing more powerful than the scepter is Hades's ember," Mal explained.

"Oh. Like he's just going to hand it over if you come back to the Isle," Jay said sarcastically.

"And no one knows where his lair is," Evie added.

"I do. I'm his errand rat. I've got the key at my dad's," Celia explained.

"You're coming," Mal and I decided.

"But I just got here." Celia stomped her foot in protest.

"Mal?" Dizzy screamed when she saw the two of us. The twins hugged her in fear.

"Dizzy, stay here to take care of the twins. We'll be right back, and everything will be just fine. Go inside," Evie instructed. "Guys, go get your stuff."