𝗂𝗑. 𝖵𝖺𝗅𝗅𝖾𝗒 𝖮𝖿 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖲𝗁𝖺𝖽𝗈𝗐𝗌

The Valley of the Shadows gave them nothing but a sight of plain rocks, limestone, dry mesa, and dead trees. Shallow, serpent-like dug-outs suggested that small streams and rivers used to run across the land. Thin branches and tumbleweeds danced as the harsh wind blew. Giant vultures and ravens stood perched on the crumbling roots. Remains of what seemed to be cows and horses lay sprawled all over the red earth, disintegrating. Ria and her allies stared from a distance, perplexed.

"Yep," Beomgyu turned. "Let's find another route."

"There's no other way." Taehyun insisted. "How many times do I have to remind you?"

"I'm not crossing that damned valley."

"Then stay here and rot."

"My Lord," Ria facepalmed. "When will you two shut up?"

"This guy," Taehyun rudely pointed. "Has been blabbering for the past three hours. You tell him to shut up."

"Listen here," Beomgyu furrowed his brows. "No one's ever made it through that terrain, alright? Who knows what lies ahead?"

"I mean we lived past the Sleepy Hollows." Kai croaked. "Besides, it's just a small valley filled with spirits and vexes. All we need to do is to be cautious."

Ria blinked. "What are vexes?"

"Black shadows," Soobin lowly informed. "Bad omens. Not everyone can see them, however. They only appear to those who have witnessed murder."

"What do they look like?"

"Cats."

Ria frowned. Cats again? She heaved a deep sigh and plaited her skirt. Taehyun bravely led the troupe downhill. Kai quietly trodded beside Soobin. Cielo was peacefully napping inside his bag, clueless as to where they were going. The water guardian bit his lip. He had never heard of the place before as his adoptive family never dared to utter anything beyond normal. Seeing the lifeless land unfold in front of him made him shudder. He thought that it was just some kind of an empty terrain, but no. Basking underneath the fiery sky, the valley reeked threat and unpredictable misfits. Yeonjun, who was casually snacking on a piece of guava, scoffed.

"Scared?" He inquired. "Nothing to worry about, pal. Those wispy, little breaths of smoke won't hurt you."

"I beg to differ," Beomgyu inserted. "They're terrible spirits, alright. Vengeful and dangerous too."

"Yeah?" Yeonjun smirked. "What do you know, bandit?"

"Right," Ria agreed. "Tell us."

"This place used to be green," Beomgyu prompted. "Filled with trees and whatnot. It was a vast meadow situated between two mountains."

"But after the Great War, the valley gradually turned into nothingness. Some say that the Western King cursed the land. Others believe that the war might have displeased the gods, hence they took away its beauty."

"What was the Great War all about?" Ria asked.

"Three kingdoms battled over countless territories a few decades ago; one of which was the Island of Garyn. But what's funny is that nobody had actually won. Everyone died a shameful death, as no one was able to claim the island."

"Legends warn travelers about this place. The Valley of the Shadows is known to house the spirits of the fallen knights and noblemen who had risked their lives for nothing. Vexes lurk around as well. So really, why bother crossing this drastic path when you can find an alternate route instead."