𝗂𝗂𝗂. 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖲𝗅𝖾𝖾𝗉𝗒 𝖧𝗈𝗅𝗅𝗈𝗐𝗌

"Here we are," Kai gulped. "The Sleepy Hollows."

Ria glanced up to the scenery in front of them. Right underneath the pastel sunrise, a dark, dense forest stretched across the vast land. Trees- about a hundred years old stood tall, their crowns almost touching to create a roof in which sunlight failed to seep through. Contrary to the peaceful breaking dawn and the birds chirping, the woods reeked eeriness, mystery, and discomfort. Odd noises resonated throughout the dreary environment. Strange shadows walked the moist earth. The wind changed its mood as it rustled past the ray-deprived leaves.

"Shit." Ria mentally cussed. "We left early for this?"

"There's no other way." Taehyun suddenly croaked. "The Sleepy Hollow creates a barrier to separate the commoners' civilization to the outside world where magic and nature thrive in harmony."

"Great info.." Ria grimaced. "..but I'm still not going in. I'm not one to predict the future, but what if we don't make it to the other side?"

"We will." The blonde mage moved. "Come on."

Ria and Kai stayed close to each other. The air guardian slightly shuddered, clutching on the girl's sleeve as his nameless phoenix shamefully snoozed inside his food bag. Taehyun bravely led the group, his amethyst eyes sharply observing the surroundings for possible threats.

The Sleepy Hollow showcased an endless road. Massive oak roots twisted and created shallow caves. Moss and fern decorated the forest floor. It was dim and quiet. Dead leaves rained upon their figures as they walked and even though the skies promised them a hot weather, the air inside was freezing. Ria shuddered.

"Only a few people dare to come here." Kai whispered to her. "Monsters. They're everywhere."

"You don't say."

"Taehyun tried to get in when we were little. He didn't last a minute, let me tell you."

"He definitely saw something."

"Indeed." Taehyun confirmed, glancing over his shoulder. "You two, what's with the slow pace? Hurry."

The pair jogged. Taehyun glared to his side. A silhouette just drifted by. He clenched his fists, ready to blast a spell. But it had already vanished behind the large trunks.

"Wait," Ria halted. "What's that?"

Before them was a rotten corpse. Judging from its boney antlers, Kai dubbed that it was a dead stag. Mushrooms sprouted from its empty eyesockets. Glowing, blue butterflies fluttered on top of its cadaver, scavenging what was left to savor. Wiggly maggots feasted all over its body, popping holes here and there. Ria stiffened. They all had feline faces. She instinctively reached out to hold the guardian's pinky.

"Ignore it." Taehyun stated.

"Why are they glowing?" Ria pointed to the butterflies. "What are they and those maggots?"

"We call them flutterbies," Kai stated, rubbing her back. "Those little wigglers are called caterpillars."

"Ah, CAT-erpillars." She nodded. "Good one. Your world sure does revolve around cats, no?"

"It doesn't."

"We've got a cat villain and cat insects, ain't that pretty evident?"