11- Y/N

I woke up with a start. I looked around to find myself on the couch I had slept on a few hours ago. I sat up and brought the warm blanket closer to myself as I snuggled in it. It warmed me but there was still something missing; something I couldn't quite figure out. My nightmares were getting worse and worse by each passing day. At first, I wasn't too bothered and thought it was normal, but after having these for a month and a half straight, I knew it wasn't usual anymore. Nobody had nightmares which grew worse every night, since the very first day. I was concerned a little, but I was confused as to what to do. Every night, I had a nightmare about my grandfather's death, but each night, the nightmares and the scenes were more vivid; more horrific. These had worsened to the point where I didn't even want to sleep for a minute anymore, but my all day exhausted body would fall asleep nonetheless.

I sat there for hours thinking about life and reflecting upon everything. I would never sleep again once I woke up from the nightmare. I would just sit on the couch, thinking about things, staring at Calcifer sleeping in his fireplace, or go outside and practice, or just sit and enjoy the lush green scenery. In the beginning, I wouldn't do this and just fall asleep again, but as time passed by, the nightmares grew more awful and so I would always sit in one place and try not to fall asleep or think about those awful thoughts and images. The days went on by normal, but as night came, everyone would go to their rooms and then I'd try to keep myself awake, but always end up falling asleep at one point. The mere thought of sleeping scared the hell out of me. But on the bright side, I always had time to reflect upon life and everything. So, that was good, right?

Time passed by as I just sat there, not moving a muscle. Finally, after an eternity, my surroundings started becoming lighter. I slowly took the warm blanket off me, as the chill suddenly hit me and made me shiver. I folded the blanket and put it away. I took a pair of clothes and slowly made my way up the stairs, trying not to wake any one up. Everything was so quiet and I enjoyed it. I guess that was one of the bright sides of those nightmares? I went inside the small bathroom that was lined with different kinds of spells and potions which Howl used. I opened the hot water, as the colorful tub started filing with it, removed my clothes and stepped inside the warm water. As soon as the water hit me, it made me feel warm, and my body relaxed. After changing, I went back downstairs. "Morning, Cal," I said as I made my way downstairs. "Hey Y/N," he said. I smiled as I made my way towards him to make some breakfast.

After a while I was done.

Markl came running downstairs and greeted me, then made his way over to the table. It was only I and Markl at breakfast. We ate and talked. After a while, the door bell rang and Markl went to get it, as I made my way into our kitchen to do the dishes. Markl then closed the door and was about to come to me, when the bell rang again. He answered it again. I was done with the dishes so I made my way over to Calcifer. "Howl isn't down I see," he said and chuckled a little. I shook my head 'no' and gave him a small smile.

"Who was it, Markl?" I asked when Markl came and sat beside me, removing his enchanted cloak. "Oh it was the King's invitation. Master howl has been summoned to the palace. The king wants him to defend the country in the war," he told me in a casual tone. I didn't exactly know why Howl was being called to the palace. Making a mental note to ask Howl what that meant, I brushed the thought aside as I thought about the events of last night. For some reason they made me smile to myself. Even though talking about everything was hard and painful, it felt good to finally tell someone and get it off my chest.

A moment later, I heard footsteps which brought me out of my thoughts, only to find the person standing there whom I had been thinking about. "Morning, family," Howl said, smiling, which in turn made all of us smile too. "Master Howl, the King's guards were here. The king has summoned you to the palace. He expects you to participate in the war," he told Howl. Howl just nodded and motioned for me to come outside. I obliged and went after him.

The day went on by usual. Howl taught me magic, but he didn't stay like every other day he had. I just shrugged it off and continued to practice all day until evening. After that, I took a short break and had dinner with Markl. Afterwards, he left to sleep, as I did the same. After talking with Calcifer for a while, I finally fell asleep, much to my displeasure.

I saw the people in black walk through the front door of his house.

I knew exactly why they were going in there. I tried to stop them but nothing worked; not magic, not my voice, not my body....just nothing.

I kept trying to move and scream or do some kind of magic, but nothing worked. I was helpless. I felt helpless.

The scene suddenly shifted and I I was inside his cozy living room. The men in black were there too.

I knew what was going to happen next. I saw that one scene every single night. I saw it so many times, it was etched into my mind, and no matter what kind of nightmare it was about his death, that one scene was always there.

My lost voice suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and I screamed for them to stop, but they didn't listen.

"Please, don't kill him; I beg you, don't kill him. Take me instead, but please leave him."

I kept repeating these lines over and over but it was as if I wasn't even there.

I kept shouting and begging them to stop. I tried doing magic, but not a single inch of my body was moving.

Tears streamed out of my eyes as I saw them killing him in the worst way possible.

And then, I could move again. I ran towards his now lifeless body and fell beside him. It was as if even in my nightmares, I was being controlled by someone.

I screamed for him to come back but he didn't.

I tried doing some magic, but as soon as I had raised my hands in the air, I was being held back by someone. I got a glimpse of the men in black holding my arms tightly and preventing me from doing any kind of harm to them.

I thrashed and flailed, but to no avail.

"Let me go, you bastards!" I screamed.

And with the last ounce of my remaining strength, I jerked forward, and hugged my grandfather, not letting go.