Sacrifice

Year 846:

1 year after the fall of Wall Maria

You were sitting on your horse in the gates of Trost district with refugees in your squad. Around 250, 000 refugees about 20% of the population were fighting alongside Survey Corps members to retake some land from Wall Maria.

But the way you saw it... was essentially a death sentence, it was obvious they didn't want to feed anymore mouths so they sent out a bunch of refugees ranged at least at the age they could fight at. Which you guessed was around 17-18.

"OPEN THE GATE!!" commander Erwin called out as the gate began to lift open beginning to  shout useless words before you galloped on your horse beyond the gates. You were placed on the vanguard of the scouting formation.

Around 20 minutes after exiting the gates a titan was spotted "TITAN SPOTTED 10 METRE CLASS!! DON'T ALLOW IT OUT OF THE FOREST!! WE CAN'T SLIP BY... THERE'S NO CHOICE! ENGAGE!!".

"VANGUARD WITH ME!! THE REST OF THE FORCE" he continued to shout you galloped forward listening to his orders

"SWITCH TO MANEUVERING!! DON'T LET IT OUT OF THE FOREST!!". "I'll take care of it" you spoke to your squad grabbing your handles and attaching them to a nearby tree sheathing your blades in the process. You moved quickly slicing the titan's fingers in the process before moving around the titan.

Avoiding its swinging arms you reached its nape spinning before cutting deep into the back of its neck, blood spraying on your clothes before evaporating.

You head back to your horse retracting your blades and placing back your handles climbing back on your horse.

"Let's continue" continuing on the formation.

--

--

After we were able to reach shelter the next day's things got messier, we encountered more titans and had to retreat. The expedition went on for at least 15 days or even more.

Over 100 000 people died leaving 200 left compared to the original 250 000. Luckily you were able to maintain your squad from being devoured though you did injure your arm. It wasn't that serious only a bandage was wrapped around it.

Heading back into Trost district you noticed the looks of sadness and disappointment some were happy to see the sight of their loved ones back and surviving.

Some had looks of disgust after recognizing that over half the people sent out were dead and some were relieved that we had lesser mouths to feed.

You looked back at your squad, the new recruits devastated with looks of fear on their faces.

We barely accomplished anything the titans are much stronger no matter if it was more than 200 000 people or soldiers fighting.