The Fall of Wall Maria

Year 845:

You galloped on your horse in the wet rain hastily sitting alongside Hange and Erwin with other troops.

"ALL SOLDIERS, PREPARE FOR BATTLE! WE HAVE ONE TARGET! WE WILL SLAY IT AND CLAIM THIS SPOT AS HUMANITY'S FIRST STRONGHOLD BEYOND THE WALLS!" you heard Shadis order as your 3DMG clanged against each other

"TARGET APPROACHING!" Erwin called out.

"SPLIT INTO FIVE GROUPS JUST AS WE PRACTICED!" Shadis rose his hand outwards vocalizing

"WE'LL ACT AS THE BAIT! ALL ASSAULT SQUADS, SWITCH TO OMNIDIRECTIONAL GEAR!".

You gripped onto your handle grips getting ready as you activated your gear shooting your wires into nearby trees pulling your body forward the ODM squeaking.

You noticed the big monster looking at it, it was big looking around 15 meters tall

"STRIKE FROM ALL DIRECTIONS AT ONCE!" the commander ordered as you sheathed your blades moving to injure its legs.

--

--

You heard the bell ring as you pranced on your horse, back into the gates looking around noticing injured people and limbs and the judgemental faces of citizens.

It's been 7 years since you've joined the Survey Corps but the faces of citizens and families that have lost a loved one will always affect you though you've had gotten used to it.

Looking in the direction Erwin was looking at before he whipped his head back you noticed a boy staring with admiration along with a little girl who stared with a blank face.

She reminded you of how you looked as a child except your hair was shorter.

His expression changed when he saw the injured people in the military and the shellshocked eyes of the rest, hearing the mumbles of those around you mocking the decisions the scouts have made for humanity.

"Moses! Moses!" your head ran to the sight of an old woman in a dress looking for someone most likely dead.

"Excuse me... I don't see my son Moses anywhere... Do you know where he is?" the woman asked grabbing onto the Commander's cape.

"This is Moses' mother. Go get it," he responded looking at the man missing an eye going away for a few seconds soon later bringing back something wrapped in a white cloth with blood splattered around it.

She quickly unwrapped it revealing an arm peaking through... She instantly pushed back the cloth as tears started running down her cheek like rain, she wept loudly through the district.

"It's all we could retrieve" Shadis uttered looking down at her she dropped down cradling the arm close to her tears dripping down her face like a waterfall.

"But... my son... He was helpful, yes? Even if he didn't achieve direct greatness... surely my son's death helped humanity fight back, yes?!".

She cried out sending chills down your spine "Of course...!" the commander exclaimed but then suddenly his face changed looking down.

"No... On this latest scouting mission, we... No... Just like all the other missions..." he clicked his tongue pausing for a while.

"WE ACHIEVED NOTHING AT ALL! MY INCOMPETENCE HAS DONE NOTHING BUT NEEDLESSLY SEND SOLDIERS TO THEIR DEATHS! WE HAVENT FOUND OUT ANYTHING ABOUT THEM!" his voice roared throughout the streets staring at Shadis who you have never seen like this.

He was always a rough and mean man but now he was crying. You felt bad for him and the mother who has to bear the loss of her child.

----