12

I pulled out my sunglasses from where I kept them in the glove box and put them on as the sun blared into my eyes. Reaching for Damon's ones, I gently slid them onto his face as he drove. I would never admit it to him, but he looked really hot in sunglasses.

Damon drove for a while, and I paid no attention to where we were going. When he slowed down, I looked up to see that we were pulling into a park at the airport. Damon turned off the car and got out. I got out too, and he pulled the suitcases and the bag out of the back and locked the doors.

"Where are we going?" I asked, taking mine from him.

"You'll see." Damon smirked. I sighed. "You'll love it."

"As long as you're there, I will." I said

"Come on. We don't want to miss our fight."

We walked into the airport, our suitcases wheeled behind us with one hand. I hung back as Damon checked in, since he still didn't want me to know where we were going. He came back with two tickets, and handed one to me. I took it and read the words printed on in black ink.

"Paris?" I asked.

"Paris." Damon confirmed. I laughed and threw my arms around his neck. "Happy birthday Elena."

"Thank you." I whispered. Damon knew that I always wanted to go to Paris, and he had obviously never forgotten. He smiled, and then we heard our flight being called over the speakers.

Getting onto the plane was a whirlwind of security, crowds of people, and a lot of noise. When we were finally on board, Damon went first, since he knew where our seats were. I was surprised when we walked past the main area and continued on to the first class section.

Damon stopped at a double seat, with a small TV and a bed/seat big enough for both of us. Since our suitcases were already packed in the plane, Damon just tucked the backpack under the side of the seat closer to the aisle. We got into the seat and found the belts, but tucked them away down the side. We were vampires, and we wouldn't need them.

It would be a few minutes before we took off, and the flight would take almost a full day. There weren't many flights that went directly to Paris, and I was surprised that Damon managed to get seats on one. They usually filled up fast.

"Elena?" Damon asked. I turned to him. "Are you happy?"
"Of course I am." I smiled. He didn't smile back.

"I meant with me." He said quietly, looking down. "Are you happy with me?"

"Damon." I whispered, taking both of his hands in mine and staring into his eyes, which weren't looking back at me. "I know I hurt you when I pretended to turn it back on. I'll spend forever feeling horrible about it. But I can't imagine life without you. I love you so much, and I'm never going to leave. I'm happy with you Damon, and I'll be happy with you for as long as you let me."

Damon finally looked up, and I saw tears in his eyes. I let go of one of his hands and wiped them away as they spilled over. My own eyes pricked with ears in response to his, and I couldn't help but laugh quietly.

"I'll let you forever." He said. "Because if I'm not with you then I have nothing."

I didn't know how to respond. My heart felt like it was going to crack with all the love I felt for Damon. He was so incredibly sweet, and I knew that nothing on this earth could tear me away from him. As we stared into each other's eyes, there was a ding from above us.

"Thanks for flying with us today, my name is Captain Sharma and I'm joined by Kristine Grode who is my co-pilot today. The flight will be a long one, so sit back and relax. Take off will be shortly."

"What's the bet we get told off for not wearing seatbelts." I giggled. Damon rolled his eyes.

"There's this thing we can do." He said as we sat side by side in the double seat. "It's called compulsion." I nodded. "You're so cute." Damon whispered, his hand circling around my neck. I felt my cheeks grow warm and Damon chuckled.

"Excuse me?" A polite voice made us turn. "We need you to put your seatbelts on now." The air hostess smiled.

"They are on." I stared into her eyes. The woman blinked and walked away, mumbling an apology. I turned back to Damon with a smirk, and he nodded approvingly.

"Smooth." He commented, drawing me in again, resting his forehead against mine.

This, this was perfect. For years I had craved a life like this, full of a love that consumed me, passion, adventure, and even a little danger. Similar to the first words that Damon had ever said to me, which I had remembered when I became a vampire. He was right, and I couldn't think of anything else that I wanted.

Damon smiled, and as I stared into his eyes it was almost like I could see right into his soul. I would be content to sit here forever, not needing anything else but him. Damon chuckled.

"You look like you're considering something." He said.

"I'm just thinking about how much I love you." I told him. "And how I never want you to go." Damon pulled me against him, my head resting on his chest.

"I'm never leaving you." He promised, and there was such sincerity in his voice that I had no doubt that this was the truth.

We didn't speak for a while, and then the plane hummed to life around us. I leaned over to look out of the window as we started speeding down the runway, and then felt the drop in my stomach as we took off. Mystic Falls grew small beneath us, and soon enough I couldn't see it any longer.

I yawned as a wave of tiredness washed over me. Damon grabbed a blanket from god knows where and tucked it around me. He was sitting up and my head was in his lap. Damon started gently pulling his fingers through my hair.

"Go to sleep." He murmured. I nodded and closed my eyes, letting the rhythmic stroke of his fingers lull me into unconsciousness.