6

"Damon..." I started.

"Don't." He cut me off, stopping in front of me. He crouched down, taking both of my hands. I looked away. "Elena, look at me." I didn't move. "Look at me." He pleaded. I met his gaze. "Why?" Damon whispered.

"I kill people." I said in a broken voice. "I take them away from their families. I don't deserve to be happy."

"Yes you do." Damon clasped my hands tightly. "Elena, everyone cares so much about you. I love you so much. Please." His eyes pleaded with me. "I couldn't live through losing you."

I didn't know what to say, but I nodded. Never again would I turn that bad that I would do that. I could never hurt Damon like that. Putting myself in his place, I knew I'd be terrified if I knew he did what I had."

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "I know." Damon nodded, and then his arms were around me. I hugged him back, holding back tears.

"Hey." Damon said after a minute. "You don't have classes for the next few weeks do you."

"I have three weeks. Why?" I asked. Damon pulled back and grinned.

"You'll see." He gently kissed the tip of my nose. "Tomorrow." I sighed and then laughed as Damon picked me up. I wound my legs around his waist so I wouldn't fall.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too." Damon's arms circled around me, pulling me close. I wound my arms around his neck and kissed him softly.

-

When I woke up the next morning, Damon wasn't next to me like he usually was. I frowned, sitting up and running a hand through my hair. The sun was streaming through the half open curtains, so it must be around nine in the morning.

"Good morning sleepyhead." Damon grinned at me as he came through the door and closed it behind him. I laughed quietly as he climbed onto the bed, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Hi." I smiled, kissing him briefly. "Where were you?"

"Just making some plans." Damon's eyes twinkled, and I sighed when I realised I wasn't going to get anything out of him.

"To do what?" I asked anyway. Damon chuckled.

"You'll see." He said, just like he did yesterday. I groaned and flopped back onto my back, staring up at the ceiling. "Soon." He promised.

"Okay." I smiled, hooking a finger through one of his belt loops on his jeans and pulling Damon down next to me. He rested his head on the pillow and wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Do you even have time?" Damon mumbled as I kissed him again. I glanced at the clock on the wall.

"I don't have to be at the meeting until...about ten minutes ago." I shrugged. Damon grinned and pulled his phone out, handing it to me. I sighed and quickly dialled the number of the high school.

"Mystic Falls high school, Andrea speaking." A chirpy voice answered.

"Hi, this is Elena Gilbert." I ran a hand along Damon's cheek as I spoke. "I'm really sorry, but I'm going to be a bit late for my meeting with the principal regarding my brother, do you think you could let him know I'll be there by ten?"

"Sure." She replied. "I'll let him know."

"Thank you." I said, and hung up. I handed Damon's phone back to him and he placed it on the bedside table.

"Ten o'clock?" He asked.

"Ten." I confirmed.

Damon grinned and kissed me, hard. His hand ran down my leg and hitched it up around his waist, and I kissed him again.

-

At five to ten, I walked into the high school, tying my hair up in a half ponytail as I walked. I approached the office and smiled at the lady behind the desk.

"Elena Gilbert?" She asked. I nodded. "Mr Myers is waiting for you." She pointed at a door.

"Thanks." I smiled at her and headed towards the door. A low 'come in' sounded from inside when I knocked, and I opened the door.

"Miss Gilbert." Mr Myers greeted me, standing up as I closed the door. "How are you?"

"Good, thank you." I shook his hand.

"Have a seat." He motioned to the chair. I sat down, folding one leg over the other. "Now." He sighed. "Regarding your brother, I'm afraid it's not all good news. I understand you have primary custody since everyone is d....no one else is available."
"Yes." I didn't comment on his bad cover up of almost saying the word dead. What an ass.

"Well." Mr Myers opened a folder on his desk. "In the last month since we've spoken, Jeremy has been caught in possession of illegal substances three times, and been caught using them twice. His attendance in class has fallen to lower than forty percent in the last few weeks, and his grades will not allow him to graduate." He paused. "I understand that he is often alone, wherever you are living?"

"Well, I'm often away at college, but I make an effort to come home as soon as my classes end every week." I faltered under Mr Myers' stern gaze.

"And is there any other parental figure in his life?" He asked.

"Damon Salvatore." I said. "He's been keeping an eye on Jeremy for the last few weeks, trying to help him." Mr Myers made a note in the folder.

"And what is your relationship to Damon Salvatore?"

"He's my...boyfriend." I saw the disapproving look even before it appeared on his face.

"Well, I would like to speak with Mr Salvatore about his experiences with your brother, if you don't mind."
"Not at all." I nodded. "I'll give you his number." I wrote the number down on the piece of paper Mr Myers gave me.

"Should we meet again in two weeks to catch up on the situation, and you can bring Mr Salvatore with you?" Mr Myers asked. I nodded. "When you find a day you have some time, call the office and set up an appointment." He stood, and I did too.
"Thank you." I shook his hand again.

"I'm sorry that it's coming to this." He apologised. "I will see you in a few weeks."

I nodded and walked out of the room. I headed back to the office, and the lady behind the desk looked up again.

"Can you tell me what class Jeremy Gilbert is in right now?" I asked. She tapped a few keys on her computer.

"Level three science, E5." She smiled.

"Thanks." I turned and walked through the school. It had been so long since I was here, and I found my way easily. Outside the door to E5, I peered in before knocking on the open door. The teacher looked around at the sound and smiled as he recognised me.

"Hello again Elena." He greeted.

"Can I borrow Jeremy for a minute?" I asked. He nodded and Jeremy stood. He made his way outside, deliberately not looking at me. "Jer." I sighed. "I just met with the principal."

"I bet he had a lot to say." Jeremy grumbled.

"Hey." I snapped. "Get it together. If you don't stop with the drugs by the next time I'm meeting with Mr Myers, I will make you stop. And you need to start going to classes if you want to pass the year." Jeremy rolled his eyes. "No. This time, I'm serious Jer. This can't continue." I saw the moment he gave in. His shoulders slumped slightly, and he looked at me. "Promise me you'll try."
"I promise." Jeremy said.

"Thank you." I gave him a quick hug, stepping away before he could complain. "I'll see you when you get home."

Jeremy went back inside the classroom, and I left the school. Getting into my black SUV, I turned on the engine and pulled out of the carpark. I drove along the roads, before realising I didn't know where I was going.

I pulled over on the side of the road and looked around. The border sign to Mystic falls was just ahead. I had almost left town. But why? There was a pull towards something, something I didn't know. But it was almost like I couldn't help it.