10

They were sirens, and this was a tuning fork. If I had to guess, this was one of the only things that could hurt them. Perfect.

"Here." Abigail handed it to me, and I tucked it into the inside pocket of my jacket.

"Both of you sit on the couch, and don't get up until I say." I ordered. "You're not allowed to tell Celine that you have given me this." Both girls nodded and went to sit on the couch. I joined them, sitting closer to Abigail since she was supposedly my best friend. "We're having a fun conversation." I sighed.

Sarah started chattering, and Abigail joined in. I didn't join the conversation just yet, not wanting to waste my time talking until Celine was close. Instead, I sat in silence, thinking. If this was the only weapon that could be used against sirens, Sybil would surely want it. I would give it to her when I delivered Celine.

I heard footsteps coming up to the door, so I quickly joined in the girls' conversation, laughing in time with them at a joke I hadn't heard. The door opened, and we all looked around.

"Hi." Celine smiled at her friends, and then looked at me."Who are you?" She didn't say it in a rude way."

"This is Elena." Abigail introduced me. "She was my best friend when we were kids. Elena, this is Celine."

"Hi." I stood and shook her hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Abigail's never mentioned you." Celine observed as we let our hands drop. I pretended that this was news to me, and turned to Abigail, feeling my eyes contract.

"I...I don't know why." She mumbled. Celine frowned, and I knew that soon, she would get suspicious. My time was running out already.

Drawing the tuning fork out of my pocket, I hit it against the metal frame of the coffee table. Celine cried out, her hands flying to her head as she crouched over in agony. I hit the fork again, and she collapsed onto her knees.

"What do you want?" She spat through clenched teeth. I crouched down next to her and smiled.

"I have someone that wants to talk to you." I said, and then hit the tuning fork again on the table. Celine gasped in pain, her eyes rolled back in her head, and she fell. I moved out of the way as her unconscious body lay on the floor, and looked up at the girls.

"Get out of here. You've never heard of me or Celine, and you've never seen us before." I said. They left the house, and I sighed, grabbing a home phone from the table.

It was when I looked at Celine that I realised I didn't know why I was doing this. I felt no connection to Sybil, no will to do what she wanted. I wanted my life back, my humanity back. But all of a sudden, the feeling was gone. I frowned, and dismissed it.

Dialling a number, I waited until someone picked up. Watching Celine's still body, I ordered a taxi. When it arrived, I threw Celine over my shoulder and carried her out quickly. The driver stared at me as I deposited her in the backseat and climbed in next to her.

"Drive." I compelled him. "Um...I want to go to Sybil's house." I didn't know if this would work, since he didn't know where that was, but he started driving anyway. I sat back in the seat, hitting the fork against the side of the car every so often, just to keep Celine out.

The whole way, everytime I hit the fork, I felt an overwhelming intense feeling that I wanted to get out. Mostly, I found myself missing Damon. But as soon as the fork stopped ringing, that feeling disappeared.

"We're here." The driver said. I looked up to see that we were parked outside Sybil's cabin. I dragged Celine out and then tapped on the passenger window. He rolled it down.
"Go drive off the nearest cliff and make sure you'll die." I told him. He nodded and drove away.

"Harsh."

I turned and saw Sybil standing, leaning against the doorframe. She smiled wider when she saw Celine in my arms, and the fork clutched in my hand.

"Package for you." I heaved Celine into the house and dumped her on the couch.

"Well done." Sybil held out a hand. "The fork?"

I was about to pass it to her when Celine stirred. Panicked, I hit the fork. Sybil and Celine cried out, Celine passing out again. Closing my eyes, I fought against myself as Damon filled my mind. I felt it when I flipped it back on, the emotions and guilt rushing at me.

Struggling to keep myself looking cool and calm, I looked up at Sybil, who was taking her hands away from her ears.

"Sorry." I sighed. "I just..."

"It's fine." Sybil smiled weakly. "Thanks for that." I hesitated. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Thank you for getting that." She held out her hand, asking me for the tuning fork. I didn't move. "Can I have it?"

"No." I said, tucking it back into my pocket. Sybil blinked. Before she could react, I grabbed Celine and threw her over my shoulders. I ran, not looking back as Sybil yelled. My car was parked outside, since I had taken Sybil's when I went to get Celine.

I grabbed my keys and unlocked the door, stuffing Celine in the passenger seat and clipping her in. Sybil ran outside and began humming, but I forced myself to block her out. Jumping in the driver's seat, I turned the car on and was speeding away within seconds.

I drove as fast as I could the whole way back home, not stopping, not slowing. Celine didn't move the whole way there, and was still completely out. The door to Stefan and Damon's house opened and then there they were.