2

I turned before Damon had taken his hands off my shoulders and smiled ever so slightly at the soft look in his gaze. We stared into each other's eyes for a very long moment, barely even breathing. Then, Damon's hands slowly slid from my shoulders to clasp both of mine, our fingers twining together.

Tipping my chin up slightly, I leaned forward. Damon's lips touched mine ever so softly, and he kissed me slowly, the only sound was our jagged breathing. Damon and I had been a roller coaster from the start, but after almost four years together, we had sorted everything out ages ago. I was in love with him, and he was in love with me.

"Damon." I mumbled against his lips, breaking the kiss. Damon pressed a single finger to my lips.

"Wait." He breathed. "I need to say something first." I nodded ever so slightly, looking up into his warm blue eyes. "Elena Gilbert." Damon smiled, dropping his finger from my lips and resting it against my cheek. "You are the most incredible person I have ever known. You turned my whole world upside down from the day we met. " He paused. "I know that you never wanted to be a vampire. I loved you when you were a human, and I love you as a vampire. Even though we're never going to get the life we wanted, at least I can be with you for the rest of eternity. I promise to love you forever Elena."

"Damon." I whispered. "I love you too."

Damon's hand on my cheek pulled me closer, and he kissed me again. I could feel him pouring every ounce of love into the kiss and I kissed him back with everything I had. My arms slid around his neck as Damon ran a hand through my hair, still kissing my lips passionately.

"Don't you dare mess up her hair!" Caroline's voice sounded in the room. Damon and I jumped, breaking apart and looking around at her. She folded her arms. Caroline had caught us doing worse than kissing many times before, so we were immune to embarrassment. "I thought you were going to give Elena the shoes and come back down." She sighed.

"I got busy." He winked at her. Caroline screwed up her face at him and looked at me, probably deciding I was an easier target.

"Everyone is coming now." She said, and we heard the door opening and closing, voices downstairs getting louder. "I expect you both down there in no less than two minutes. Got it?"

"Got it." I nodded. Caroline backed out of the room, closing the door. We heard her hurrying away, and then Damon chuckled. "What?" I asked, turning towards him.

"Nothing." Damon's right hand landed on my waist and he pulled me close, my hip bumping against his. I grinned, lifting a hand to brush his neck as he dipped his head to kiss me again. I smiled against his lips, running a hand gently through his hair.

We got carried away, and suddenly Damon's grip on my waist was tighter and I was so close to him I didn't think I could be much closer. I kissed him again and again, only breaking away to snatch quick breaths. We lost track of time, clinging to each other in the middle of the room.

"Enough!" The door banged open. "It's been three and half minutes. You can do this later. Both of you, downstairs, now."

"Calm down Blondie." Damon said. "We were just coming."

"Yeah, it looked like it." Caroline huffed, but she gave in and smiled at me as Damon and I left the room in front of her. Down the hallway and down the stairs, and it was like we were in a completely different world.