Chapter 29 | All I Get Is Nothing

~
"As brother and sister we could
not be more different
but we will always share a special bond
that ties us together"
~

"Mom! What happened!" I cry out as the three of us come rushing through the hospital doors.

Both of my parents were standing there, but my dad had my mom in his arms, and his face looked grim. He sighs in relief when he sees me.

"What happened? Where's Jake? Is he okay?" I ask in a hurry.

"Honey...Jake and Austin got into a bad accident." My dad says and I shake my head.

"B-but they'll be okay right?" I ask, trembling, looking at them for confirmation.

My dad doesn't answer, a single tear rolling down his face as he takes a deep breath.

"The truck flipped multiple times, and the doctors are worried that Jake might have brain damage from how hard he hit his head. Austin is in really bad shape as well, as the car hit his side."

I feel like I can't breathe.

"No, no, no this isn't happening. I told Jake I would meet him back at the house. We were gonna watch a movie." Kara mumbles beside me, in shock. As I glace over at her, I see that all color has left her face. I wrap an arm around her for support that we both need right now.

Next thing we know, the Miller's are running in. Mrs. Emily is freaking out and when she sees us, she relaxes just a bit.

"Where's my baby? Where's Austin?" She calls out, searching everywhere for him.

"He's in surgery, Emily." My dad tells her, somehow still put together.

"What's happening?" Mr. David asks.

I tune them out and feel myself lean against the wall behind me for support.

I stare ahead blankly, everything around me turning into a blur of noise.

Jake is my brother, he's my twin.

The other half of me.

He can't go.

"Em–Emma?" My mom says, both hands on my shoulders, a concerned look on her face.

I meet her eyes and I feel like I have the same expression on my face too.

Fear is written all over her face and the tears just won't stop coming.

"I-I can't mom. Not h-him." I try to get out through my tears.

"Oh honey–" She says, her voice cracking. She drags me into a fierce hug and I don't even have enough energy in me to reciprocate it.

I just look up to see the families of two people I love feeling so lost.

I didn't catch him earlier, but Chase was sitting down on the ground, his head in his knees. Sierra was by his side, rubbing his back while wiping away her tears too.

He looks up and our eyes meet and mine probably mirrored his. They were bloodshot from crying and he looked pale.

He shakes his head and I try and fail to muster up a smile.

More than anyone we both know exactly what the other is feeling.

Our other twin is fighting for their life right now, and all we can do is wait and try not to picture the worst.

Dwight and Travis come rushing through the doors and Dwight immediately comes over to me when he sees me and pulls me in for a tight hug, Travis going to Chase.