03

three

"Whose idea was this, again?" Hanna asked as the girls walked thought the woods

Lottie hands were keeping her hood, firmly over her head, she kept imaging a spider making a home in her hair. "Emily's mom" she mumbled.
"The shed was me. My mom just said we should do something for us" Emily answered growing a little annoyed.

"Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?" Hanna moaned.
"They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats" Aria said.
"Whatever! They're small and annoying, and they're flying up my nose" Hanna groaned.

Spencer walked behind Hanna, "Well, they're attracted to your perfume. And your hair product. And your lip gloss".

"So, what are you saying, I attract flies?" Hanna joked.
"Gnats" Aria and Lottie corrected at the same time.

" Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?" Emily sighed looking around.
" No, this is it. I remember that tree. It's the halfway point. There's 136 steps left to the shed" Spencer said pointing to a massive tree.

"Have you been out here since... Alison?" Emily asked Spencer.
"Me? No. No way" Spencer spook her head.
"How did you remember the tree then?" Lottie laughed.

"You guys, it's not that weird. I mean, we came out here in eighth grade like, every day... even after" Hanna said standing up for Spencer.
"I think this is totally the wrong place to do this. Whatever you call it.. shrine" Spencer said, the tone mocking slightly.
"It's not a shrine." Emily said in defence, "It's just a place to remember Alison. What's wrong with that?".

"Doing it way out here makes it look like we have something to hide" Spencer told Emily.
"You're worried what other people think?" Emily asked raising an eyebrow.
"Well, aren't you? Do you really want to give that creepy Detective more reasons to question us?" Spencer replied looking at Emily while everyone else exchanged worried looks.

Hanna moved on ahead of the group. The others stops arguing and followed.

"Hanna, why are you so quiet?" asked Emily turning her attention to Hanna.
"I'm trying to keep the bugs in my nose and out of my mouth" Hanna told her still walking.
"You're allowed to have an opinion on this" Emily called after Hanna. She really wanted someone else on her side.

"It might not line up with yours though, Em" Lottie told her friend.
"You want my opinion?" She stopped turning to face the group, " I say we hold off and not remember her 'til we know for sure she's not still here".

"What?" they all cried at the same time, Lottie a bit louder than the others.

"What are you talking about?" Aria asked.
"You think she's still alive?" Emily asked before Hanna could answer Aria's question first.

"Hanna, they found her body-" Lottie said.
" Stop. I'm officially scared. Can we just not..." Aria cut Lottie off, holding up her hand to stop anyone else from speaking.