Late 2011/Early 2012

[I'm unsure of exactly when Steve was found, hence the guess above.]

FROZEN WASTELAND - THE ARCTIC

"Are you the guys from Washington?" the search team leader asked.

"You get many other visitors out here?" S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech asked.

"How long have you been on site?" the S.H.I.E.L.D. Lieutenant questioned.

"Since this morning," the search team leader replied. "A Russian oil team called it in about 18 hours ago."

"How come nobody spotted it before?"

"It's really not that surprising. This landscape's changing all the time. You got any ideas what this thing is exactly?"

"I don't know. It's probably a weather balloon."

"I don't think so. You know we don't have the equipment for a job like this."

"How long before we can start craning it out?" the S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech inquired.

"I don't think you quite understand. You guys are gonna need one hell of a crane!"

They'd dug up a massive frozen ship.

After breaking into the metal aircraft, the S.H.I.E.L.D. Lieutenant spoke into his comm. "Base, we're in." He looked around. "What is this?" The technician nearly slipped on the ice covering the ground. "Careful."

S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech, after finding the frozen shield of Captain America, called, "Lieutenant! What is it?" He noticed another few figures a short distance away. "There's several more!"

"My God!" He said into his earpiece, "Base, give me a line to the Colonel."

"It's 3 a.m., sir," a voice replied.

"I don't care what time it is. These ones have waited long enough."