Parting Words

At the apartment, Bucky opened Madeline's letter and began reading it aloud. Evelyn and Rebecca had tried to stay awake, but they'd fallen asleep on his lap. Steve had yet to return. Bucky might've waited, but he needed to hear Madeleine one last time.

Dearest James,

Although, this is addressed to you all I suppose.

Bucky, if you've received this, it means tragedy has struck and something went wrong on the mission. Please, don't blame yourself. That goes for you as well, Steve. The best thing you both can do is continue on with your lives.

Keep Evelyn and Rebecca safe. Tell them stories of their mother and that I loved them more than they'll ever know.

I suppose it's oddly fitting this way. I was certain I couldn't lose another husband. Yet you've lost me, Buck, so it's sickeningly bittersweet; isn't it.

I love you, Bucky, and I hope you never forget that.

Evelyn, Rebecca, though I'm not here to watch you grow up, know you were in my thoughts until the end. I love you two and I hope you two remember that.

Steve, take care of my husband and daughters and don't let him become as reckless as you.

Don't let the girls forget me. To forget or to be forgotten would be a tragedy I can't even fathom.

Yours forever, Maddi

Bucky folded the letter and wiped his eyes as he whispered, "You'll never be forgotten, Maddi. I'll be damned before I let that happen."

He gently ran a hand through a sleeping Evelyn's hair, then did the same to Rebecca. "I love you two and so did your mother. I hope you two never forget that."