sixty one

"for some a prologue,
for some an epilogue."

"Lia?"

"Lia?"

I looked up from the numerous Polaroids spread out in front of me and saw Mason standing in the doorway, eyeing me.

"Hey," I smiled, rubbing my eyes tiredly. I could barely keep them open. "What are you doing up so late, Mase?"

He shuffled forward and plopped down beside me on the floor in his Thor pyjamas. "Can I sleep with you tonight?"

I narrowed my eyes before ruffling his bedhead. "Sure," I said.

It's not Mum and Dad, I thought. No hushed, angry voices from downstairs. They hadn't had one of their fights for weeks now, now that I thought about it. It made my chest swarm with a warm feeling. Dad had said he'd work on it. He was keeping his word for me. And for Mase and Helen.

"How long will you be gone?" Mason asked in a murmur as he leaned against my arm.

So that's what this is about, I thought. I wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "Don't know. But it's not like I'll be far."

"You'll be in England." He was pouting. "That's so far away. Just like Luce is."

"Nope." I shook my head. "I'll be just a call away actually."

"But you won't be here."

I smiled at him fondly. I couldn't even count how many times we've had this conversation--ever since I told him and my whole family that I'd be moving in with Luce, which Luce had been a little too ecstatic about. I'd be staying with her until my university in London started. And then I'll move into the dorms, much like Alastair would.

It had been a tricky decision. Luce wanted to know why I couldn't stay longer with her in Oak Valley. Mum too. That town held a special place in my heart, much like this one--the one I was born in--but Oak Valley wouldn't be a new start for me. Or for Alastair especially. And he needed one. A new start.

"It's not like I won't come here to see you, Mase." I pulled him closer, tucking my chin over his head. "Every year, I promise. And you can come there to visit me too."

"But I'll miss you." God, he was pouting again.

I grinned. "And I'll miss you."

"Then you don't have to go. Not tomorrow. That's too soon."

I licked my lips and glanced over at the Polaroids spread out in front of me. Too many memories. The smile slowly fell away from my lips. "I have to go, Mase," I murmured. "I need to do this for me." And for Alas.

Mason sighed. "Fine. But you'll call me every day." He waited until I nodded in agreement. "And I can come here into your room whenever I want."

Geez. I rolled my eyes, smiling anyway. "If you want, sure."