six

"and I was
never sure
whether you were the
lighthouse
or the storm."

I didn't ask Maria about Alastair

I didn't ask Maria about Alastair. She didn't really say anything about him either. Mrs. Hutchins seemed happy that I made a new friend and Maria was pretty polite with her too.

I didn't quite understand why she was hanging out with me when she could've hung out with her friends (I'm pretty sure she had friends), but she accompanied me and seemed genuine so I tried not to ponder over it.

"Hey. Will you be coming home for dinner?" I asked Luce on the phone as I stood in one quiet corner, a bit away from the bustling crowd.

There was a loud shuffle on her end. "Oh no, I don't think so, Lia. There's a lot of work I need to do here and there's--" I waited for her to continue but she quietened down. "I'll try but I can't be so sure."

"Why? Did something happen?"

"Mrs. Hawthorne came back again." It was a small whisper this time. I realized that she must be around some other staff members. Not Jim, I told myself, or I would've heard him over the phone with how loud he talked. "We're trying but...things are just burdening up."

I wrapped my free arm around myself and leaned back against the tree bark. "Is he not getting any better?"

Luce hummed a little before letting out a tired, breathy laugh. "I've been stressed, Lia. It was never like this. I always knew how to help people. It's just...it seems like he just doesn't want any help."

I couldn't help but feel bad for her, especially when she sounded like that.

She sighed heavily. "It's fine, though. I'm not giving up. But I'm sorry for ditching all of our plans. I promise I'll make it up to you."

When she ended the call, I stayed leaning against the tree for a while, replaying her words in my head.

It seems like he just doesn't want any help.

What if he did, but just didn't know how to ask for it?

°°°°°

"Will this be fine?" Rowan asked me, referring to the old silver device in his hands. "I couldn't find an iPod or anything like that."

I looked down at the object in awe. "Is that a walkman?"

He nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "It's old but I think it still works. I've changed the batteries and I've added in some songs like you asked me to."

Once he had handed me the silver Walkman, I slid it into my hoodie pocket and looked at him with gratitude. "Thank you so much, Rowan. You're the best."

He gave me a smile. "No problem."

"Also, do tell Vera that Luce and I are sorry and will be there for dinner tomorrow night."