nineteen

“your lips on
my skin
and I crumble into
wild little
butterflies.”

When I woke up, I sure as heck did not feel refreshed

When I woke up, I sure as heck did not feel refreshed. If anything, I wanted to curl up under the duvet again and doze off for the rest of the century.

Except that I didn't really get to do that, because I realized that this wasn't my bed, or the bed I had grown quite accustomed to in Luce's apartment. That alone made me open my eyes and look around the familiar hotel room.

I stared up at the ceiling for a few seconds, gathering all my thoughts, before looking over at the other bed in this very huge hotel room. I was surprised, however, when I saw that the other bed was empty. 

Alastair wasn't here.

That further woke me up and I found myself looking over at the bathroom. The lights were off.

Where could he have possibly gone off to? More importantly, was I that into my sleep that I hadn't even heard him leaving?

I exhaled heavily and sat up, pushing the duvet away and almost immediately missing its warmth. Once I was up and conscious, I walked over towards the curtains and pulled them apart just a little to see the dark night sky outside. The streets outside were pretty busy, even if it was way past evening right now.

Looks like I'd be awake tonight, I thought, since I slept basically the entire day.

I breathed out another deep sigh and went over towards my bag, picking out a nice and soft hoodie, which happened to be a black one, and some sweatpants before stepping inside the bathroom. 

The next hour went by as I took my precious time to shower. It was refreshing, all right. By the time I got out with my freshly showered hair pulled up into a towel, Alastair had still not come back.

It worried me a little, especially because he hadn't left a note or sent me a text to let me know where he was. But then I told myself not to make a fuss over it and went over to the mini wooden kitchen just beside the closet doors. It wasn't until I was in there and looking over at the small kitchen counter, that I noticed a handful of takeout boxes, untouched, placed on it.

I slowly stepped towards them, pushing them around until I saw a small note stuck on top of one of the boxes.

Gone out for a bit. I'll be back in a while.

Granted, the note was from Alastair, but it was still a bit scary, especially since there was no name on the note. But I figured it must've been him who left me that note and the ample amount of takeout food, before he had left for God knows where.

I didn't touch the food though, because I wasn't feeling hungry. Not at the moment. I felt worried, yes, but not hungry. That's exactly why I opened the mini fridge and took out a bottle of flavored sparkling water (I had never in my life felt like drinking any, but the apple-flavored one was pretty good) and settled down on the couch, surfing through the TV and waiting for Alastair to come back.