thirty eight

"...what the heart is
and what
it feels..."

There were a lot of things that I found strangely hilarious

There were a lot of things that I found strangely hilarious. For instance, sarcasm. Or the way my psychology professor tried so so hard not to cuss during class. Or the way Mason--my little brother--thought that it would snow, with newfound enthusiasm, every new year.

And then there were a few things that I just did not find amusing. 

At all.

For example, getting my best friend's locker door smacked into my face. I did not find that funny. 

But apparently few of my college mates, the ones who were near enough to witness the scene, considered it worth laughing at as they passed me by.

"Lia." That was Nora, giving me a look that was a mix in between concern and surprise. She seemed to be the only one who wasn't laughing at me as I leaned against the locker beside hers, rubbing my now-aching forehead. I couldn't help but frown.

"What the hell is up with you today?" She asked me with the same look, closing her locker much more softly than usual as if she was expecting me to step in her way and slam my head on it again.

I had a feeling I'd be getting a bruise there. Not a nasty one, thankfully. But a bruise nonetheless. It might've already gone red, I realised, as I tried to adjust my bangs over the specific spot. Those bangs, I'm telling you, was not a good idea. But alas, I was never one to think before making such hideous decisions. Even if my mum had somehow kinda warned me that I might not like the outcome. 

Mum was right. Like always. But it wasn't like I could do anything about it now. And strangely enough, even if the new haircut annoyed me, it was a fresh change. I liked it.

"I'm fine," I mumbled, trying to avoid the few stares I was getting at that moment. Most were sympathetic ones, but to me, they were all making fun of me. Some were actually. College, yet people still couldn't mind their own businesses.

Nora gripped her sociology textbook but her stare remained on me. I had a feeling she was not going to let this one go so easily.

"Lia, you have been acting like this since the morning." She pointed out as we started walking across the hallway, towards the library.

"Like what?" I didn't bother sparing her a glance. I felt too tired to look anywhere. All I could think about at that moment, apart from the little embarrassing incident a few seconds ago, was sleep. I just wanted to sleep so badly. 

"Like your brain isn't functioning properly."

"My brain's functioning properly," I told her.

Her dark glossy curls bounced over her shoulders as she shook her head.

"Yeah, right. You nearly fell asleep in Biology. And then in the cafeteria? I saw you zoning out. What's going on with you? Didn't you get decent sleep last night?"