fifty nine

"but I didn't say it
because I never say things,
I just write them."

"So," Nora nudged my desk with hers as we sat in our almost-empty Biology classroom with a substitute teacher who was too busy grading some test papers

"So," Nora nudged my desk with hers as we sat in our almost-empty Biology classroom with a substitute teacher who was too busy grading some test papers. "Are you or are you not asking Alastair out for the Gala?"

I propped my chin on my hand and stared out of the classroom window right beside me. It was a lovely sunny day outside. No rain, thank God.

"I'm not going to the Gala." I simply stated.

"What?" Nora hissed, nudging my desk again. I sighed. "Why not? Tara is going. And so is Steph. I'm going too."

"I know."

"Is Alastair not a party guy?" She asked.

I sighed again. "I don't know. I just...don't feel like going there, okay?" Besides, Noah and his redhead girlfriend were pretty obvious about how grateful they were that I wouldn't be going to the Gala. Was I letting them shape my plans? Maybe. But at the same time, I was just as glad that I wouldn't be seeing them either.

"Have you asked him though?"

"Why do I have to ask him?" I straightened up and glanced at the teacher who still wasn't paying us, or the other few students here, any attention.

"Because," Nora widened her eyes. "You know how it was the last year. And the year before that. Every year the Gala happens, all the girls around town go into this frenzy mode."

My cluelessness must've been obvious since Nora sighed irritatedly.

"Someone else will ask him out." Nora rested her hands flat on her table. "Almost everyone in town goes to the Gala."

I eyed her funny. "And you think he'd say yes to someone else who's not me."

Nora shrugged. "What if he does?"

"I don't think he would." I smiled, though now I was kind of doubting. "Is this your way of convincing me to go to the Gala?"

Nora rolled her eyes. "Clearly not working."

Little did she know, it did kind of work out.

Later when a few more substitute teachers showed up, I figured the entire college was way more into the Gala preparations since very few roamed across the hallways. I was lounging in the college library, trying to study a little when Luce called me. Which was odd since Luce never really called me during this time, when she knew I'd be at college.

I stood up from my table and went towards the furthest bookshelf, sitting down and leaning against it. The librarian rarely came here, so I answered Luce's call.

"So, I've been hearing about this boy you've been dating." Was what Luce told me after we exchanged our casual greetings.

I froze a little and nearly started to think of words to get out of this mess. "Uh, well--"