thirty two

“no feelings,
no memories, just
the feeling of
oblivion.”

The photograph I got in the mail wasn't mine--the one that was still stuffed inside my trench coat

The photograph I got in the mail wasn't mine--the one that was still stuffed inside my trench coat. Which meant that I now had two exact copies of the same photograph. A photograph that wasn't even supposed to be with me in the first place.

It belonged to Alastair. And according to Mr. Smith, Alastair didn't even know that it belonged to him.

It confused me when I took out the photograph Mr. Smith had given me, when Alas and I had been visiting his parent's graves, and placed it beside the photograph that I just got in the mail.

Why would someone mail it to me?

You didn't tell him.

What was that even supposed to mean?

Was it Mr. Smith who sent this to me? But how in the fucking hell did he know where I lived?

I got the answer to that when I checked the old, brown envelope again, reading the address on it. There was no sender's address, which left me just as clueless as before. But what surprised me was the recipient's address.

And it wasn't mine.

The address where this envelope was to be mailed at wasn't Luce's apartment. Rather it was an address that I faintly recognised. When I typed it on the web, numerous pictures popped up of the town of Knightsridge. More particularly, this envelope was supposed to be mailed to the Hawthorne mansion.

Then why was it here, towns away?

It couldn't be a coincidence, I thought. This was too specific to be a coincidence.

The next day, I went over to the small reception area near the apartment's entrance and asked the guard sitting there if he saw anyone coming in and dropping that specific brown envelope in Luce's mailbox. The guard told me that it must've been the mailman. Which honestly did me no good.

How in the hell did the mailman bring this to Luce's mail when it wasn't even addressed to be brought here?

I even asked Rowan, just to make sure it had been Luce's mail box he got the envelope from.

"Yeah." He looked at me funnily as I helped him push down the book trolley, both of us walking across the numerous tall shelves of the Great Library. "It was your sister's mailbox. Where else do you think I would have taken it from?"

I told him it wasn't addressed to me. I even showed him the empty brown envelope (I had safely placed the photograph and the cassette back in one of my drawers where I hoped Luce wouldn't go near).

"That's odd." He frowned, taking the envelope from my hands and checking the printed address on it.

"It is." My eyes widened. "I don't...I don't understand how it was mailed here instead of Knightsridge."