chapter thirteen

I twisted my key in the lock and braced myself for the yelling to see my dad sitting on the stairs in front of me, nursing a tumbler of scotch. The amber liquid often slopped over the edge in his hand as he shook and swayed under the influence of alcohol. I trie to open my mouth to speak but cut myself off by the look in his eyes.

They were emotionless. Cold and gray with not an ounce of feeling in them. His steely glare raked over my body before looking away in disgust, disappointment.
"Im not going to ask where you were because frankly i dont give a fuck. Just get out of my sight, go to your room." His voice was empty and monotone as he spoke to me.

I once again tried to speak but was cut off yet again by the glass thrown just above my head. A small whimper escaped me at the shock as the glass smashed over me. Large chunks caught along my arms and chest leaving small cuts and scratches in their wake while finer pieces dusted my skin and clothes like glitter.

"I didn't ask you to speak, get upstairs. You will not leave this house unless it is for school for the next week. If you're not back straight after school everyday I will drag you back myself. Am I clear?" he spoke out as he looked at me with his eyes wide and dull.

I muttered a small yes and ran upstairs while holding my breath as I ran past him.

—-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I shut myself in my room and let out the breath I had been holding to notice quil sanding by my now open window. I sunk to the floor and he flew across the room to my side and looked at me, eyes wide, shaking. I didn't want to speak or rather I couldn't but he seemed to understand as he just curled me into him while rubbing a circle on my back as he held me as close as possible, whispering sweet things in my ear. I gripped onto his shirt and hid my head in his chest as he buried his face in my hair.

We stayed like this for what felt like hours before he pulled away from me and cupped my face in his hands. He brushed the pads of his thumb across my face, tracing my features gently, as if I was made of glass. His thumb moved across my cheekbones, my jawline, my lips and I noticed his eye flick down between my lips and my eyes.

I leant in and tilted my head ever so slightly before pressing my lips against his. He kissed me back and pulled slightly on my waist to bring me closer and I weaved my hands through his hair, smiling into the kiss. Once I pulled away he lifted his forehead against mine and placed a small kiss on my nose before pulling me to my feet. He led me to my bed and made sure I was ok. He got up to leave but I just needed him right then.
"Please stay, just till I go to sleep," I whispered to him.
"Of course" he whispered back, smiling at me.

I moved over and he sat next to me as I curled into his body, warmth radiating off him. The heat and his steady heartbeat in my ear lulled me into a peaceful sleep.

-Quills point of view-

I couldn't stop looking at her. The way the light from the moon caught on her high cheekbones and the tip of her nose, illuminating her features. The way her eyelashes curled slightly, the curve of her lip and she slept. Her dark brown hair fanned across the pillow with stands dancing across her face, neck and collarbone. Her soft breaths kept me calm. She fell asleep about half an hour ago and i know i need to leave for patrol so i pick myself up off her bed. She let out a small whimper in the absence of heat, bringing a smile to my face. I dip down and press a kiss to her cheek before slipping out the window into the dark forests that surround forks.