ten

"you've got no idea how excited i am for today," i spoke over the phone as i cleaned up. i was currently still at work, talking to vanessa about our date planned for tonight. my last client had just left minutes ago.

   vanessa giggled over the phone, colored pencils clinking around in the background. she was also at her workplace, setting up her classroom since school was back in session starting next week. i had helped her with a few things, just small tasks like putting up posters that she needed help with.

   "i'm excited too. ms. tyler and i were talking about you when we had lunch together," she giggled again, sitting back in that creaky chair she had. my eyebrows shot up as i laughed to myself, walking out of the door and locking it up behind me.

   "oh, what'd you two talk about?"

   "not much, really. just how much i like you and how cute both you and eli are." she shrugged over the line. i smiled widely, hopping in the car to make my way home so i could get ready.

   "oh, shit," vanessa mumbled. my brows frowned as i turned a corner, sighing as i saw the long line of cars ahead of me. "you okay nessa?"

   "no, i'm fine. it's just—i promised to mrs. nixon, the oldest teacher we have here, that i would make her some stupid banana bread. and now, i only have five hours left to make it. so—even though i don't wanna, i've gotta go." vanessa sped out, her belongings clinking loudly as she collected them in her hands.

   my smile returned to my face, and suddenly, i was even more excited for tonight. i don't know, it's the smallest thing ever, but the fact that she takes valuable time out of her day to do things for other people—it just makes me feel right.

   "alright, we'll you better get to baking. um, i'll pick you up at seven still?" i cleared my throat and rolled my neck, feeling the need for a massage after my long ass day.

   "okay," vanessa whined, her car starting up. "i'll see you later, beautiful." she giggled, definitely feeling proud of herself for that one. my checks heated up profusely as i blew out air from my mouth.

"o-okay, wow. uh, i will see you later." i croaked, grabbing my phone hastily and clicked the hang up button.

this girl will be the death of me.

——

   "i don't really like pizza, if i'm completely honest." i hummed, slapping the pizza down onto my plate. i grabbed a napkin from the middle of the booth, wiping my hands and mouth off.

  vanessa's eyes widened at me as she placed her own slice down. "seriously?!" she squealed, taking a sip of her water. i giggled and shrugged. i mean, pizza was fine, but it's not the best thing in the world. "w-well why would you let me take you here?" she pouted.

   "i ordered the salad!" i argued, throwing my hands up to protest. vanessa squinted her eyes in a "really?" way, her head tilting to the side. "what?" i laughed, "i like salad! at least i have something i like so i'm not starving."

"you're weird and annoying." vanessa smirked, reaching for her water. i raised my eyebrows, ready to come back at her. she shook her finger at me, swallowing her drink. "uh-uh, no. i'm right."

i squinted at her, trying to somehow make her break. she only stared back with her cheek in her palm. "fine," i sighed, accepting my defeat.

vanessa giggled in victory and sat back, leaving the two of us in silence to eat. i caught her staring at me a few times when i went to look at her, and she never looked away. she just kept looking with a smile on her face.