prologue

i met ariana when i was fifteen years old and i knew, at that moment, that i wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

we were friends for years before i made a move on her. i was eighteen when i took her out on our first date, nineteen when i made love to her for the first time, twenty when i proposed to her, and twenty one when i finally married her.

a month after our wedding, ariana had discovered that she was pregnant with our first child. the both of us were over the moon ecstatic—but nervous as hell, this child being both of our first, obviously.

nine long months later, ariana gave birth to my now four year old son, elijah truth y/l/n. that boy was my pride and joy, and he still is. he looked and acted exactly like me—and i was clearly his favorite parent, ariana having a slight "hatred" over me for it.

our marriage was great—amazing, even. we fought rarely, and when we did, we always made up quickly. we still went on frequent dates—and it wasn't like we didn't have sex, because we definitely did. but when i was twenty five, ariana changed.

she didn't want to be around me or eli, she was barely home, she never let me take her on dates, we hadn't had sex in now six months, and she hasn't told me she loved me in eight.

she barely even looked at me, it was like she was revolted at the sight of me.

it hurt, it really fucking did. it hurt even more when i had to comfort my crying son at night as he wondered why his mommy didn't want him anymore. hell, i cried at night too wondering why my wife didn't want me anymore.

ariana now came home late smelling like cheap cologne and with hickeys down her neck. i saw and i saw, but i never did anything about it. i let my heart ache and i let her crush it in her tiny hands, and i sat there and did nothing. i endured the pain for eli and eli only.

i am now twenty six. it had been eight years since i have been with ariana, and i had just discovered it had been three where i never really had her heart. three years. three. she began her infidelity when my son was only one—not even speaking his first word.

ariana had fallen out of love with me—and frankly, so have i.