three

ariana hummed as she held onto my cheeks, wetting her lips. "we should drop eli off at my mom's house and spend the day together today. and then tomorrow, we can pick him up and we can have a family day." she suggested, her eyes darting all over my face.

my eyebrows shot up in surprise and i cleared my throat. was she actually putting in effort after three years? she actually wants to be around me? was she really done like she told my "sleeping" body she was, or was that a lie? i looked down briefly, "uh--yeah." a smile formed on my face no matter how hard i tried to fight it. "yeah, i'd like that a lot."

she smiled brightly and leaned up to kiss me again before pushing me off of her so she could get herself ready for the day. i rolled over to lay on my side and watch her as she took off her shirt, walking into our closet. that stupid fucking smile was still on my lips as ariana maneuvered her way around our closet. she slipped on one of her favorite shirts and turned her head to me, a soft smile forming on her face. "what?" she whispered, her face flushing.

i breathed out through my nose, feeling my heart flutter. "you're just so beautiful." i whispered, loud enough so she could hear me. she bit her lip as she smiled, pulling on her jeans. "you are too, baby." i groaned as i felt my face grow hot and i shoved my face into a pillow, ariana giggling as she walked back over.

my heart hurt like hell, but in a good way. every smile, giggle, or look she sent my way sent my stomach flipping like i was on a rollercoaster. i felt like i was fifteen all over again.

ariana's hand came up to rub my back, the heels of her hands pressing into my shoulder blades. i groaned in pleasure and she giggled again, massaging my back as i turned my head so my cheek rested on the pillow. "hm, your back hurt babe?" she whispered into my ear, kissing the back of my neck. i made a weird noise, telling her that yes, my back was hurting.

she let out a breathy laugh and patted my back, getting off the bed. my eyebrows furrowed and i sat up, looking at her questionably. she shrugged, a smug smirk on her lips. "you can get a massage later tonight. now, get your sexy ass up so we can go." she leaned down and pecked my lips once again, my eyes closing in bliss.

she left the room without another word, leaving me sitting breathlessly with my eyes still shut. one little kiss from her and i was pulled back into her web—and i had no idea how i was going to get out of it.

——

"okay, bud. mommy and i will be back to pick you up tomorrow morning, and then we're all gonna have sooo much fun." i shook eli's arms as we stood in joan's living room.

eli pouted and wrapped his tiny arms around my neck. "i don't want you to go, mama." he whined, and i frowned—almost being convinced to forget about this entire day with ariana and have fun with my son. but i needed this, we needed this. if i was going to forgive and forget—which is going to be the hardest thing i will ever do—we would have to rebuild our relationship. even if it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

i hugged his small body and pulled back to kiss his forehead. "i'm sorry, eli. but, mommy and i really need this time together, okay? i promise, as soon as you wake up tomorrow, i'll be right here." i whispered to him so ariana wouldn't hear me.

tears fell from his eyes and his small body bounced slightly as he hiccuped. "okay, mama. i love you so much." he nodded, leaning forward to kiss my cheek. i smiled and kissed his cheeks back, making his tears go away.

i stood up with one final kiss on his nose and ruffled his hair. "you be good for grandma, ight?"

he looked up at me, his curls in shambles because of my prowling hands. he groaned and shot his hands up to his hair, fixing it the best he could. "yes, mama."