Chapter 6: Assassins Do Help People

They were dropped what seemed like 10 miles away in the dense forest. The snow was falling gently in large flakes all around them as they took off running through the woods being careful to stay close to trees or brush incase they needed to hide quickly. Cara hated running, she hated trying to keep up with Steve even more. Even though he was clearly holding himself back, trying not to lose her, she still was struggling to run at a decent enough pace for him.

As they approached the structure Steve held up his fist signaling her to stop. A little over 100 yards away, there were guards stationed at the entrance to the fenced in area. Cara immediately started looking around for solutions. It looked as though Steve started doing the same as she watched him scan the fence line as well. Looking up, Cara smiled with an idea. She pressed her finger to her earpiece.

"Captain Rogers-"

"Cara you are right next to me, I can hear you whispering just fine."

"... Right, my fault, I have an idea."

She eagerly awaited his response but he said nothing to her. Inching closer to him she leaned in a little closer.

"I HAVE AN IDEA." She whisper shouted.

"For the love of- I heard you the first time I was waiting for you to tell me your plan!"

Cara blushed, thankful he couldn't see the embarrassment on her face in their current position.

"Well there's 6 guards on the fence line, two stationary at the entrance, 4 walking, there's also guards in each of the 4 towers."

He nodded this time, letting Cara know he was listening. She continued, encouraged he hadn't stopped her so far or made a smart comment about stating the obvious.

"If we can take out the tower guards, while simultaneously we take out the perimeter walkers, that leaves the stationary guards as easy pick offs."

"How do you suggest we take care of the tower guards before they notice one is down?"

Cara smiled excitedly, this was going to be her favorite part.

"I've got the tower guards, you start taking out the ones on patrol starting in a counter clockwise pattern."

He hesitated for a moment before he spoke again.

"Alright then, let's give it a go. When you're ready, give the signal and I'll start."

"Roger that, -er Rogers." She said awkwardly realizing what she was saying as she spoke about it.

"Captain Rogers."

He reminded her before taking off to get into position. Cara stuck her tongue out at him as he ran, keeping low. She then crept over to the opposite direction of Steve and found a tree that would work for her plan. She quietly fired a grappling arrow up into the tree climbing the rope dangling behind it as quickly as possible. Once she was above the height of the tower, she moved herself onto a sturdy branch, steadied herself and pulled another arrow from her quiver.

"Agent Barton, I'm in position." She heard through her earpiece.

She pulled the arrow back and exhaled slowly lining up her shot. The arrow released from her fingers and a zip line anchor shot into the tree behind her. The other end hit the tower roof and she launched from the branch down the wire. She entered the tower feet first landing on top of the guard and in one quick motion she pulled her knife slitting the guards throat. She covered his mouth shushing him until the gurgling stopped.

"Ready set go." She said over the ear piece.

Hearing the first soft thud on the ground, she jumped up, bow in hand and took out each guard in the same counter clockwise sequence as Steve. When she fired the last arrow, watching the guard drop, she leaned out of the tower reaching up above her and retracted the zip line pulling the arrow out as she flipped backwards out of the tower.

As she fell she put the zip line arrow away pulling out another arrow. When she hit the ground, landing on her feet in a ready stance, she fired the arrow, hearing Steve's footsteps stop behind her. They both watched as her arrow hit the first guard in the ear as a ball bearing shot out from that arrow into the second guard, both of them hitting the ground at the same time. She turned to Steve excitedly, he tilted his head nodding at her hands on his hips.

"I did ask you not to kill everyone didn't I?"

"You asked me to try not to kill everyone. These ones were necessary."

"I knocked mine out. Can you try to incapacitate the other hostiles? You're already covered in blood."

Cara looked down at her suit, there was blood spatter on it from the first guard. She quickly bent down and picked up snow rubbing it on her to get as much blood off as she could. As she did Steve couldn't help but smile slightly at her. When he had mentioned the blood he didn't expect her to clean it right there on the spot. But here she was, rubbing snow on her like it was a loofa in the shower.

"You know," she said as she brushed the snow off her hands, "the whole killing thing, kind of comes with the whole assassin thing. It's what we do."

"Well try to not be an assassin for a day and just be an agent who helps people."

"Assassins do help people, we help bad people out of life for the benefit of the greater good." Cara said shrugging.

Steve shook his head disapprovingly as he walked off toward the entrance. Bow still in hand, she put the other hand up in question of what exactly about what she had said was wrong. Deciding not to push it she jogged after him and into the compound.