Chapter 35

I wore my new necklace everywhere. Even into the city with Ava, as we maneuvered through the many stores and their Christmas sales. I'd started to really love shopping now that I could get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, for myself.

It bothered me a little that I probably seemed selfish, but I tried to drown that thought with the fact that I'd never had the chance to be selfish before. Even if I wasn't, I let myself be. Just for a little while.

"Oh my god!" Ava put her hands on her cheeks as she stared in front of us, her squeal making me nervous for her. Then she took off, and I was afraid I'd lose her in the sea of people, but she stopped as she slammed into a wall of a man, who lifted her and wrapped his arms around her.

The kiss they shared made me feel hot, and I quickly glanced around to make sure they weren't being stared at. I could've guessed by watching less than half of their greeting that this was Ava's boyfriend, the one she was so deeply in love with after having such a bad relationship before.

"I thought you'd be gone until New Years!" Ava sounded breathless as she finally reconnected with the ground, and beamed up at the man. His cheeks were covered in light stubbles, matching his blonde, styled hair.

He was handsome, and his smile and eyes looked kind. Though he wasn't even in the same league as James—but maybe I was biased.

"I wanted to surprise you," he said, smiling. "Is this your new friend? Nina's sister?"

I tried to ignore the slight edge in his voice as he said my sister's name, but it wasn't easy. It seemed everyone had something against her, and I understood, but she was my sister and I felt a need to protect her.

But I managed to hold my tongue.

"Yes," Ava confirmed, "this is Elina. Elina, this is Gage. My boyfriend."

"I could've guessed that," I told them, holding my hand out to greet Gage.

He took it and smiled. "Sorry about the PDA."

"No, don't be, you missed each other!" I waved his apology off, and smiled, excited to finally meet the man Ava had told me so much about during our night out, and this morning.

"A lot," Ava confirmed, wrapping her arms around the man's waist. "Do you want to get lunch with us, Gage?"

"I'd love to," he replied, then he shot me a questioning look, "if I'm not ruining your girl-time?"

"Not at all," I said, linking my arm with Ava's, "I'd love to get to know this amazing man I've heard so much about."

From what I knew, he wasn't associated with the mafia very much. As an errand boy, he only had limited information at hand, and that's the way everyone involved liked it. Ava knew the risks of that, but then again, she said was so far on the outside that it shouldn't really be an issue. I hoped she was right, and that the long experience she had in this world meant she knew better.

Even if she could be blinded by love.

We found an area with food trucks just down the street from where we ran into Gage, and after ordering way too many small taco's and making small talk, I had to admit I understood how Ava could fall so quickly. He was charming and sweet, and it didn't seem like he had a bad bone in his body.

I was a little concerned that he did, though. I'd read too many books where the innocent guys turned out to be villains, even if I wanted to believe the best. I crushed my doubts with another bite of the delicious Mexican dish, as my phone vibrated in my purse.

It was pure luck I found it before it stopped ringing, and I excused myself to take it. Not that they minded; Ava was already seated on Gage's lap, as if I wasn't there anymore.