Chapter 5

"Exploring," I replied. "This time I wasn't let out."

I wasn't sure why I added that, but the look on his face turned into pure amusement as he raised his eyebrows. "Really? Will I get in trouble if I help you hide up here?"

"No. No one will know, because this is the last time you'll see me." The words came out so easy, and they tasted poisonous on my tongue. I didn't want them to be true, and I wasn't sure whether they were or not. Not yet.

James looked me up and down, biting his lip. "What if I want to see you again?"

"Then you'll have to move," I told him with as much ease as a warm knife through butter. I strode past him, into the lounge he was hiding with his broad body, and I looked around it. Red velvet was definitely as prominent as I thought it would be from downstairs, and I spotted Damian watching us from one of the corner couches, the bottle he took from the bar on the table in front of him.

My body was tense as I looked back at James. "I'm not staying in Datoches," I blurted, feeling like I needed to vent about everything to someone impartial. Someone who didn't know the whole story of what happened to mom, or how crazy dad turned after.

"Why?" The question was heavy on his tongue, the brightness in his eyes dimmed down to something less prominent.

"I want to be safe," I said, and it was the truth, "this city isn't."

"I can keep you safe." He took a step closer, his knuckles brushing against my cheek.

"I can keep myself safe, thank you," I replied, staring up at him.

His smile was back at that, and he nodded, not even bothering to tell me I was just a tiny girl, and he'd be better at it than me. Something started growing in my chest as I realized he believed I could protect myself. Pride, maybe? I cleared my throat and looked away, uncomfortable with the pleasant silence between us.

"I know what kind of world this is," I said, my eyes meeting his again as I felt the need to vent some more. "My dad taught my sister and I to use guns when we were young. I know how to fight, thanks to dad's best friend. I'm not as defenseless as I probably look, but I still don't know if being this close to the mafia is what's right for me."

"You said you've been locked up." James scanned my face, his Adam's apple bobbing once. "You've been sheltered?" My nod made him look away, his jaw clenching. "And your sister?"

"She slithered her way out. I think you know her," I said, watching his face, "Nina George."

Realization dawned on his face, but he didn't look like he took pity in me. He looked like he was entertained. Like I'd just told him some juicy secret he'd wanted to know for god knew how long. "You're Kevin's daughter."

Surprise washed over me. I knew the family was tight-knit, and that everyone knew everyone, so to speak, but I didn't expect him to be on first name basis with my dad. "You know my dad?"

"Not well," he admitted, his hand landing on my shoulder as he led me through the lounge, towards where Damian sat with his huge bottle of liquor. "But I'm the next boss' best friend. I should know the people who work for me."

Well, he had a point.

I let him guide me towards the table where his friend sat, and even though I wanted little to do with Damian, I sat down on the soft couch, opposite of him. He kept glaring at me, while James walked over to a cabinet and took out three glasses.

I was about to ask what Damian was looking at, when he opened his mouth. "Nina never mentioned she had a sister."

"You don't even listen to her," James said with a chuckle as he sat the glasses down on the table and sat down next to me. His arm went up to rest on the back of the couch, behind me, and I could feel the warmth seeping off of him as I leaned back. "No offense, but she's a little...clingy."