Chapter 30

The road back to Datoches was nicer to look at when I was willingly there. James' car had seats so comfortable—and so warm and amazing—that I even forgot I was in it sometimes.

Until he reached over with his large hand and held my thigh. Then I remembered very well what had happened at the hotel last night—and I'd almost completely forgotten why we were there in the first place.

Every time I moved, there was a pleasant reminder of what we'd done in the bathtub. It made my cheeks flush slightly when I thought of it, but I hoped no one noticed. Except James. I both hoped he did, and didn't. By the amount of looks he'd sent me throughout the morning and most of the drive, I already knew he could tell, though.

And I'd basically admitted to myself I wanted to marry him. I barely knew him! But at least I wasn't as crazy as he was—proposing in all his glorious seriousness after meeting me twice. I was just...a tiny bit more sane, thinking about saying yes after he'd dropped whatever he was doing and driven across the country to make sure I was safe.

Datoches was visible in the horizon as I turned my head and looked at him. Really looked at him. He was focused on the road, one elbow leaning casually on the door, his hand holding the steering wheel like he hadn't done anything else his whole life. His other hand held my thigh, his thumb caressing it sweetly. He glanced my way and smiled, his right dimple clearly visible to me as he watched the road again.

"You're staring," he commented, squeezing my thigh a little. "Not that I'm complaining."

"You're just...unbelievable," I replied.

I was just going to give up on the whole idea of trying to control the connection between my thoughts and my mouth. It was no use. I'd never be able to think before I spoke, anyway.

"In a good way, I hope." He chuckled.

"In the best way," I confirmed, chuckling a little myself, "but also in a very annoying way."

The smirk he sent me made my heart thunder, and I shook my head and huffed to hide my reaction. By the way his fingers tightened around my thigh, I was pretty sure he noticed anyway, and was taunting me, but he didn't say anything. He just kept driving, and the silence in the car was a comfortable one.

I let my hand move down to his arm, and my fingers traced circles on his skin for a few minutes, until I shifted and placed my hand on top of his, threading my fingers with his.

"Thank you," I found myself saying as I looked at his his large hand was still clearly visible underneath mine, "for coming to get me."

"You never have to thank me for that," he replied, turning his hand around to hold mine tighter, with more determination. "But you're welcome."

I smiled, biting my lip as he lifted our hands to his mouth, kissing the back of mine sweetly. A gesture I'd read about several times, and even seen in movies—but none of that was as good as the real thing. I was convinced in that moment that nothing else mattered at all, except for the two of us and our future.

The future he had all planned out already, and I was just now starting to fantasize about.

How he could be so sure after spending half a second with me, I'd never understand, but the part of me that saw it as a red flag at first had started to see it more as a compliment—a sweet gesture, even, that I'd be able to lean on whenever I wanted.

"I bet you missed your books," James said suddenly, breaking the silence and my train of thoughts. He glanced at me with a teasing grin. "I picked up the most worn one yesterday, while you were shopping. It was...interesting."