Chapter 31

The Gold Rose was a whole different place without Nina. And without my e-reader. It felt lighter, and maybe even a little more fun when I didn't have any secrets hanging over me. And I didn't have anything to worry about, besides myself, my man, and my friends.

Hennie and Ava invited me to the club, and they were both a little sad Nina couldn't make it, but it didn't seem to weigh them down at all. Especially not by the dance floor, or when they downed several shots in under a minute.

I did that last part too.

And I was swaying to the music, with Ava, after Hennie found a man she told us she wanted to climb like a mountain and disappeared.

Honestly, I liked the night a lot more with just Ava and I. We fit better together, even if she was way more shy than me—but I understood her insecurity with getting close to people after what I'd learned of her ex. Lucky for me, she was very into having fun and drinking, and she laughed and danced and talked with me about everything after a few shots.

She even admitted to having read a sexy book one time, after I told her shamelessly I lived for smut. If I hadn't been drinking, I would've probably said I enjoyed romance novels instead. But oh well.

I was winded and exhausted by the time we went off the dance floor, and found a booth to sit down. My feet were killing me, so I kicked off my heels the same second my butt touched the seat, and I moaned at how good it felt.

Ava giggled at me. Her smiled was infectious, so I couldn't hold mine in either.

"Thanks," she said once we'd settled a little. "For not leaving when it was just the two of us."

"Why would I?" She left me a bit stunned, but I managed to ask anyway.

"I'm the quiet one, and I'm usually not very fun."

"Honestly, I like you better than I like my sister at the moment," I admitted, fully aware that it was probably the alcohol that gave me the courage.

"Right, I heard about that." Ava grimaced, before raising an arm towards the bar. "You need another drink."

I could only laugh at that, and I accepted the drink she offered. And another, and another. I'd always preferred wine, but the more shots I downed, the more I liked them.

We kept talking, and she opened up to me about loving her new boyfriend so much her heart could burst at any moment, while I opened up about my recent change of heart regarding James.

She swooned as I told her about our dates and his proposals, and said, "You have to say yes eventually, he's so romantic." I wasn't sure I disagreed. "I can picture your wedding at the Davis' home, too. You're gonna look so beautiful!"

"And you'll be my maid of honor," I offered, laughing at our silly conversation.

"You're getting married?" I whirled around at the sound of the familiar voice, and my arms went up to welcome Marius as I saw it was him.

I didn't approach him. He approached me. So technically, I didn't break any promises.

"No," I replied, just as Ava said, "Yes, she's having a summer wedding next year."

I waved her off, and slid further into the booth so Marius could join us. "I hope I'll be invited," he said, "is the lucky guy the one who carried you away last time?"

"Well," I started, and then bit my tongue. I cleared my throat, and tried to clear my mind by closing my eyes hard as well, before I said, "Yep. That's him. My future husband."

Marius laughed, one hand resting on his flat belly as he shook his head. "You ladies have had a lot to drink, I see," he remarked, an amused grin playing on his lips. "I never thought I'd see Elina drunk. Let alone twice."