CHAPTER 2

She was on a mission. She had spent an entire week making phone calls, sending emails, calling in favors, all in the hope of contacting J.H. When Saturday had arrived with no hope in sight, she'd feared her attempts were all in vain. That was until her phone rang at lunch time. The number was unknown. She answered anyway.

"You've been looking for me." The voice was rough and spoken quickly before she could give any greeting.

"Who is this?" she asked instead. His tone made her bristle. He already sounded frustrated with her and she wasn't sure why.

"I've been told you've been calling all my connections. Why?" He lacked manners it seemed. Vanessa held in her contempt and tried a more pleasant approach. She only hoped her assumptions were true.

"J.H." He grunted in reply and her gasp was simply unavoidable. "Finally! I was beginning to think you didn't exist." His short chuckle surprised her. She pulled the phone from her ear and stared at it for a moment.

"Is there a reason you've been so determined? I don't like fans." The growl in his voice made her curious. Perhaps it was a story for a different day, if she was ever so fortunate to hear it.

"I have a proposition for you."

"You do, do you." His words were slurred, dripping with innuendo and she gasped. Her cheeks reddened instantly and mouth flapped like a loose thread in the wind.

"I uh-" she groaned and hung her head in her hand. "I didn't mean it like that." He laughed and she couldn't help the small smile she answered with. "It's a business proposition."

"I have an agent for that." He was back to the short, curt tone. She wasn't too fond of it.

"I tried your agent and I was ignored."

"There's a reason for that."

Vanessa rolled her eyes. "Which is why I resorted to other measures. It's urgent."

His chuckle returned. "Photography is nothing urgent. Nothing worth all this trouble." His words bothered her. How could a man with such a keen eye and raw talent, speak so casually about his gift?

"This time it is."

He was silent and she wondered if she'd said the wrong thing. Eventually he sighed and the sound shot deep within her. "You've got my attention. Let's see how long you can keep it."

His words held a challenge and she grinned. Game on. "It's a commission piece, and before you say it, I know you don't do that but, this is different. It's a wedding and-"

"I don't do weddings." His words cut her sharp.

"I know but this isn't just any wedding. It's an A-list wedding and a guaranteed check with more numbers than you'd ever imagined." That part wasn't particularly true. Nick had been very clear about the budget but she really wanted him at the wedding. Money spoke volumes - it always did.

"I don't care too much about money. If you knew anything about my work you'd know that." He was right. She did know that but, she hoped for better. Money was her best argument.

"I do know your work. I've followed your work for years. You're one of my favorite photographers."

"Then you know I don't do fluffy fairy tale wedding portraits."

Damn, he was a stubborn man. "You're right. You take thought provoking images. You travel the world in the hopes of showing rich, naive people like me what the world is really like. You show people the true nature of our world. It's why I know you'll be perfect for the job. The couple," she paused, "they aren't like most people out there. This wedding is for show, for others. It's not what they want but, they want you. They need you to capture the only real thing about the circus they'll be putting on."