Chapter 49: How Far We've Come

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓 🌙 🌹

I've been AWOL in the author's notes lately, haven't I? I was pretty in the zone when I wrote these chapters. Well, now that I've officially disturbed your reading flow, I'll peace out.

_________________________________
Chapter 49: How Far We've Come
_________________________________

Usagi jolted awake to the incessant ringing of the telephone. Where was she again? How did she get here? Usagi blinked, disoriented by her surroundings.

Familiar carpeted floor. An unmade four-poster princess bed. This was her bedroom, and cradled in her arms was Chibi-Usa, three months old and crying. She must have fallen asleep in the rocking chair while feeding her.

Usagi hurried to calm her daughter, fumbling for the pacifier on the nearby nightstand. In her haste, she managed to knock over a glass of water and a half-eaten sandwich from last week. Usagi rushed into the hall to silence the wailing phone, nearly tripping on a mountain of dirty laundry.

"Hello?" she said into the receiver, hoping she didn't sound out of breath.

"Hey, Usagi! It's me. How are you?"

"Oh, Mako! Hi!" Usagi managed a tired smile. How long had it been since she'd heard any of her friends' voices?

"Hey, I'm great. I just had a minute here on my lunch break so I thought I'd double-check with you about your bridesmaid dress. Did you get into the shop to get measured yet? I have to get the order in by tomorrow..."

A sweat drop trickled down her temple. "Oh, um, no. I'm so sorry, I completely forgot..." Mako was on her lunch break? Usagi stole a glimpse at the clock. How was it noon already? And Thursday too? She glanced at the calendar by the phone, marked off to October 5th, 2000.

"That's okay, don't worry about it. You went to the same shop to get your wedding dress altered, right? They probably have your information on file then."

"Yeah, great thinking..." Usagi adjusted Chibi-Usa while trying not to drop the phone cradled between her ear and shoulder. She didn't know how to tell Mako that there was no way her measurements were still the same now after giving birth to Chibi-Usa. She decided that before Makoto got married next June, she'd just have to get in shape. There was no other way around it.

"Sorry about that," Usagi told her, still blinking off the remnants of sleep. "Is there anything else I can help with? I could be the best taste-tester for the wedding cake flavors, alright?"

Makoto laughed. "That's kind of you to offer, Usagi. But we've got everything sorted. Unazuki has been a tremendous help. You wouldn't believe how excited she is for her older brother to get married."

"That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you two. I can't wait for the big day!"

"Yeah, it'll be here before we know it."

Usagi removed the coiled phone cord entangled in Chibi-Usa's fingers, only to be met with shrill crying.

"It sounds like you've got your hands full there. I won't keep you then. Hey, I'll drop off some pecan rolls after work, okay? I can't visit though, I've got to get home and finalize the guest list. Take care now!"

When she hung up, Usagi stared at the phone in her hand for a long moment, letting the dial tone pulse out loud until Chibi-Usa started screaming again.

I wish I was bringing a plus one to Mako's wedding, she thought glumly, returning to the rocking chair. Then maybe seeing Mamo won't be so awkward...