Chapter 39: Freeze-dried Romance

💫 Drops of Starlight 💫
By Strawberry Moon Rose
🍓🌙🌹

_________________________________
Chapter 39: Freeze-dried Romance
_________________________________

Queen Keika made her formal introduction to Naru, and Seiya briefed her on where the Three Lights were really from.

For an ordinary girl like Naru, it was a lot to take in: cross-dressing sailor guardians, a distant planet, and the concept of starseeds. Nevertheless, Naru felt honored to be entrusted with the truth. In a way, it shortened the distance she had always felt between Usagi's other friends.

While Naru was ecstatic for the Starlights, every glance in Keika's direction served as a sore reminder of the man Keika owed for her return - Nephrite. It brought wetness to her eyes. She could still feel his lips on hers, even though it was impossible to have felt him at all.

Usagi acknowledged that she wasn't in a social mood, and for that Naru was grateful. Just being near Usagi's naturally warm aura made her feel better.

"We're going to Rei's tonight," Usagi told her while changing Chibi-Usa's diaper. "Would you like to come along?"

"Actually, I would. Thanks." Naru passed the package of wipes before wrapping her arms around herself. "I... I don't want to be a burden, but I can't go home yet. I love Umino with all my heart, but it's just too soon..."

"I completely understand."

Naru smiled weakly and rubbed at her eyes, smearing mascara on the back of her hand. "You don't suppose Minako has some makeup I could borrow? I should probably freshen up before then."

"I can guarantee she does, it's Minako. Say, do you think you could work your magic on me too?" As if on cue, Chibi-Usa grabbed one of Usagi's pigtails and tugged, further disheveling one of her hair buns.

Naru managed a smile through the sadness. "That sounds fun."

_________________________________

It turned out Minako had enough cosmetics to beautify an entire movie cast. If Usagi didn't know better, she would have thought Minako swiped all the makeup artist's gear from the London film set.

With the endless array of bottles and compacts covering the surface of the guest room vanity, Naru went to work dabbing concealer under her exhausted teal eyes while Usagi put Chibi-Usa down for bed.

Normally Seiya assisted with the nighttime routine, but that night she was nowhere to be found. Last spotted making rice balls with Taiki, Usagi couldn't shake the feeling that was just an excuse to avoid her for the rest of the evening. She felt like she deserved it, but it still stung.

By the time Usagi glumly joined Naru, her friend was already finished, looking more vibrant compared to a half-hour earlier.

Naru, wielding a hairbrush, patted the upholstered vanity seat. "Your turn."

She started with Usagi's hair, combing it smooth until it was free of tangles. Naru proceeded to retie her signature bun-head hairstyle. The silence was the comfortable kind neither felt they had to fill with needless chatter. There was something about going through difficult times together that always brought people closer.

As Usagi closed her eyes, allowing Naru to apply a layer of pale eyeshadow, she imagined she was her carefree thirteen-year-old self hanging out in Naru's bedroom after a day at school. Usagi imagined they had just rehearsed their talent show dance routine and were practicing new makeup looks they had seen in the latest magazine issue. Life was simple - she was just an ordinary girl with ordinary friends. Naru's mom would bring in a plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies and ask if she wanted to stay for dinner. They would talk about the new Sailor V video game at the arcade, her crush on Motoki, and how they should be studying for their English exam on Friday so Mrs. Haruna didn't flunk them into repeating a year.