Decorating Frustrations (Matt Jackson)

December 17: Lights/Decorating

🎄 I don't own any of the GIFs or Photos in this

🎄 This is my first time writing, so please let me know what you think

Emily's POV:

Walking into the family room after getting dressed, I wasn't expecting to walk into a warzone

Walking into the family room after getting dressed, I wasn't expecting to walk into a warzone. There was a pile of string lights thrown in the corner of the room and in the center of several totes was my fiance. I could tell by the look on his face, he was frustrated. I quickly pulled my purple hair out of my face and went to try and help him. I somehow navigated my way over to him and sat on my knees beside him.

"Matt, honey, are you ok?"

"No, somehow all the Christmas lights got tangled together and I have no idea how it happened. I know we were careful when we put them up, so they shouldn't have gotten tangled at all. They're so tangled together to the point I don't know where one begins and where one ends. And on top of that, I can't find any of our Christmas tree decorations." Matt said, looking at me, pouting a little.

Leaning over I kissed his lips, pulling away I saw the pout gone. "How about I help you untangle the lights. Between the two of us we should be able to get them straightened out. And as for the decorations, I put them under the Christmas tree last night."

Matt looked under the tree we had set up last night, and there was the tote. He looked relieved we hadn't lost them. We started on the pile of lights, each of us finding an end. It took us almost an hour to get them untangled, but we did it. Matt gave me a kiss on my head, before taking the lights outside to start decorating out there. While he was outside, I started going through the totes we had for inside decorations to see what I wanted to use. I set aside the stuff for the tree knowing Matt and I would decorate that later together. Turning on Christmas music on my phone, I grabbed the decorations I wanted, I started decorating the inside of the house.

By the time lunch rolled around, I had the front room decorated and lights strung up in the hallway. Taking a break for lunch, I went to the kitchen and made us a couple of sandwiches. When I was finished, I walked outside to get Matt. He had all the yard decorations done and was working on the eaves now. Seeing Matt on a ladder working on more lights, I walked to the bottom of it lightly tapping his leg to get his attention. "Lunch is ready. I figured sandwiches would be fine."

Matt nodded then climbed down the ladder. We walked in and had our quick lunch, then went back to work. A few hours later I had the inside of the house decorated, so I decided to check on Matt. He was just finishing up outside when I went to look. I helped him put the empty totes into the shed and he put the ladder back into the garage. After we had dinner, we put The Nightmare Before Christmas on the TV while we decorated the tree. Before we really got started, I ran to the bathroom and when I came back I started busting out laughing. In the couple of minutes I was gone, Matt had somehow got tangled in the garland. He looked up pouting at me, "It's not funny. I don't know how this happened. I was just taking it out and it somehow got wrapped around me. Help me."

I quit laughing and got the garland off him and put it on the tree. When we got to the lights, these were also tangled up. We both let out frustrated groans, then set to work getting them untangled and got them on the tree. We opened the tote with all the ornaments relieved that nothing was wrong with them, that was until we got to the tin the hooks were in. Every single hook was tangled together. We got the amount we needed untangled, then started to decorate the tree.

As we were getting close to being finished, Matt started looking in the totes trying to find the tree topper, only to not find it. We really couldn't catch a break. I started helping him look after putting the last ornament on the tree. We finally found it under the pile of tote lids. He lifted me up and I put the topper on the tree.

With the tree finally decorated, we turned the lights on and admired our work for a moment. Matt and I put the totes away, then came back into the family room. We sat on the couch with another Christmas movie, but we barely made it five minutes into it before we both fell asleep on the couch.