Chapter 7

Salvatore Boarding School for the Young & Gifted
Alaric's Office

"I didn't expect you to arrive until this afternoon," Alaric said as he sat on his office chair and Lydia and Scott stood before his table.

"We wanted to tour our new school while everyone was in class," Lydia responded.

"Ah, good thought, but students are not allowed in the hallways during classes," Alaric replied a moment before there was a knock at the door. "Come in!"

In walked Dorian who seemed oddly excited to see Lydia and Scott, this mood reminded Alaric of when Dorian was speaking about a topic he found fascinating.

"Sorry, Mr Saltzman, but I was sent to get these two and give them a tour," Dorian said holding up two hall passes and Alaric almost slumped into his chair, it seemed Emma was a step ahead of him.

"Except if they have a hall pass," Alaric completed his sentence about students not being allowed in the hallways during classes. "Lydia, Scott, this is Head Librarian Williams."

Short salutations were exchanged before Alaric officially welcomed his new students and then released them into Dorian's hands, but not before they waited outside while Alaric informed Dorian about changes he had to make during assembly, an assembly he missed.
TRANSITION
Hallway
Wade's POV

With my last class before lunch out of the way, I happily headed for the cafeteria, anticipating my impending meeting with my new roommate after I missed the assembly.

He sounded like a cool guy from what I heard from the other students although not all thought that.

I just hoped that I would make a good first impression because we were stuck with each other for the rest of the year.

"Hey, Wade!"

I heard my name being called and turned around to find Mr Williams walking towards me with a duo matching the descriptions of my new schoolmates.

"Sir," I responded coming to a halt and giving Mr Williams my full attention, but something drew it to Scott.

I was shocked to see mahogany ripples originating from his heart, although I couldn't see his actual heart, to the rest of his body and then outside of it, but I didn't see the ripples after they left his body, if they left his body.

Strangely, I felt drawn to him, like he was a beacon calling me home. It was a strange yet kind of familiar feeling that eased my mind and assured me that...

"Wade."

"Yes, Mr Williams?" I replied taking my eyes off Scott and consciously focused on Mr Williams.

"Are you alright?" He asked with a concerned tone.

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. I'm alright." I assured him.

"OK," Mr Williams said slowly. "Wade, meet Lydia and Scott, your roommate, and guys, meet Wade. Would you mind having lunch together?"

"No! I mean, no. I don't mind if they don't mind."

"We don't mind," Lydia responded and Scott concurred with a nod.

"Alright, I'll leave you to it," Mr Williams said and before he left, he added, addressing the new students. "You'll find me in my office in the library if you need anything."

They acknowledged and thanked him, and with that, he left and I led Lydia and Scott to the cafeteria.

"What do you know about the flag football game?" Lydia asked me on the way and I happily answered and gave my opinions on the usual players.
TRANSITION
Cafeteria
Hope's POV

For some reason, I couldn't get what I overhead earlier out of my head.

First was the fact that Scott was a werewolf. I didn't understand why he was sharing a room with a witch when...

Oh. The second part was the answer.

Scott was an Alpha of his own pack outside the school, he was probably not interested in getting involved in the resident pack's politics.

That brought me to the question of how Scott was an Alpha of a pack at such a young age, the school pack and its Alpha Jed didn't count because it only existed at the school like a fraternity, not outside in the real world.

Then there was the question of how Scott defeated, whatever that meant, an old werewolf hunter, who likely had a lot of experience to go with his age when he was around sixteen.

As if these questions were not enough, there was the fact that Scott had a banshee for a friend and packmate, and that banshees allegedly existed.

I didn't like this. I was becoming too interested in something, in someone, and I didn't know how I got here.

Well, that wasn't really true.

The fact that Scott was an Alpha and had a real pack made me think about my mother and her pack, and how it would be like to be a part of a pack.

Since Scott had a banshee for a packmate, I couldn't believe I just thought that and there was a chance Lydia was a real banshee, there was a part of me that wondered if he would welcome me into his pack.

I didn't like that thought.

I preferred being alone, I liked being alone. People couldn't hurt me and they couldn't leave me when I was alone. I didn't need to be wondering if I would be accepted in some stupid pack I only learned about a few hours ago.

But if that was true, why was I staring at Wade enjoying lunch with Lydia and Scott?

He looked so stupidly happy to have someone, two someones, listening to and giving him all of their attention, for a change, while everyone else was ignored.

Argh! I hated how happy Wade looked.

"Hey, Hope," A fellow student sitting on a table beside mine tried to get my attention.

"What?" I responded turning to her, annoyed that she interrupted me, but she didn't need to say anything, my food tray, which I had unintentionally levitated, came crashing down and did the talking for her.

Well, it would have done the talking if Josie didn't smoothly catch it with a telekinetic spell and lower it slowly until it was back on the table without making a mess.

Embarrassed, I gave a small smile and thanked her before leaving the room.

Yes, I hated how happy Wade looked, but I also wished I was in his place with a heart as light as his, hence I turned to get one last look at his table before I walked out the door, only to find that Cleo had joined the trio and was busy introducing herself.

I wondered why they allowed her to join them, until I remembered that Cleo was now sharing her room with Lydia.

I walked out of the room and headed for my bedroom, and once there, I took out my phone so that I could make a phone call to Aunt Rebekah to vent.

I needed a verbal outlet of everything I was feeling and thinking, and Aunt Rebekah was always available and didn't have a child to attend to like Aunt Freya, so I could talk with her for however long I wanted and that's what I needed right now, or else my magic would get out of control.

"Little Wolf," Aunt Rebekah said in greeting on the second ring and a tear fell down my cheek as I threw myself on my bed.

"Hey, Aunt Bex."

"What's wrong, love?" She asked noticing my emotional state in my voice.

"Me."

"There's nothing wrong with you, sweetheart."

"There is, Aunt Rebekah," I replied as another tear followed, certain of what I said.

"OK. Speak with me, Hope."

That's exactly what I did until the bell rang for the next class.