Chapter 3

Gas Station
Lydia's POV

As Scott stated his newfound resolve, I saw his eyes glow Alpha red and stayed red for the longest time since he died but there was something different in them.

It took me a few moments but I finally realised what that was, Scott's eyes were shifting between their natural Alpha red and a darker red.

But that something different wasn't just in the colour of the eyes, there was something else, something darker and the goosebumps I had said that I didn't just see it, I also felt it; killer instinct, the very thing Peter tried to awaken in Scott by having him kill Allison, Jackson, Stiles and I what felt like ages ago.

"No one is going to hurt me and the people I love ever again," Scott declared, voice raspy and lanced with a power I've felt before that one time he Alpha roared for the first time as an Alpha to get coyote-Malia to shift into her human form. "The Nogitsune paid for killing Allison and now Theo will pay for hurting you and killing me."

"What about the Dread Doctors?" I asked, noticing that Scott hasn't spoken about them and they were a bigger threat than Theo.

I hoped vengeance didn't blind him to the bigger problem.

"Them too," He replied. "I already called Argent and asked him to return to Beacon Hills. Derek can't return right now but he said that he'll meet with Deaton and help him gather information about the Dread Doctors and their experiments."

"When did all this happen?" I inquired because the last time I checked Scott spent the week home recovering aside from going to Satomi and asking her to help me and then bringing her to the hospital where Parrish was watching over me.

"Before you recovered."

"OK, just, don't lose yourself in the pursuit of vengeance like Allison and Peter did. I want to make Theo pay too but not at the cost of who we are."

"I've already lost myself, Lydia," Scott said with a broken tone. "Every time something happens to me and the people I care about a piece of me dies and it's filled by something else.

When Peter turned me I lost my humanity and asthma and became a werewolf with supernatural abilities, and I lost some of my innocence when I was resolved to kill him so that I could become human again.

When Gerard blackmailed me with my mom's life to do his bidding, I lost the innocence I had left after, especially after Mrs Argent tried to kill me and I..."

"She did what!?" I was shocked, I didn't know that Allison's mom tried to kill Scott.

"I've tried to fool myself into thinking this world isn't as cruel and dark as I've been shown but I've been disillusioned time and time again," Scott began to answer. "Mrs Argent hated me and what I am so much that she personally tried to kill me, Lydia.

If I didn't howl for Derek to save me I would be dead and my death would have been classified as a natural death caused by severe asthma which Mrs Argent took the time to remind me that the school is full of records of my severe asthma attacks."

"Did Allison know?"

"Not until she returned for junior year and Derek put me in a situation I had to tell her and that Derek gave her mom the Bite during a struggle in the room full of vaporised wolfsbane that was killing me. I didn't want Allison's last memory of her mom to be of a woman who tried to kill me in cold blood. She already had a hard time mourning Kate."

I saw where Scott was coming from.

With Kate publicly known as the arsonist who set the Hale house on fire and killed most of the family, including kids, knowing that her mom tried to kill another kid, especially Scott who Allison was madly in love with, not long after finding out what Kate did, would have been a hard blow.